1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Look at how long they turned a blind eye toward Bill O’Reilly.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Rupert ever cared. The Times ran a piece last week or so that said the settlement (and likely subsequent firing of Carlson) only came about at the eleventh hour when the Fox Corp board of directors was finally made aware of Carlson's texts. You know Rupert and Lachlan had been told long before that. Sure sounded like the BoD forced them to take a different tack.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Might not have been the board.

Might have been Lachlan.

In any case, the leaks continue. Likely an effort to cut Carlson loose from his platinum parachute.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Wasn't he the guy who quit the Iran JCPOA because he said he could get a better deal.....then didn't get any deal?

Inky_Wretch and Woody Long like this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Since there's nothing better to do

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The board of directors of Fox Corp. IS the Murdochs. Rupert is the chair of that board, Lachlan is on the board and the other seats were handpicked by them. This isn't a situation where management is working for ownership and answering to the board. In this case, management is the ownership, which controls the board.

If anything is happening with regard to Fox Corp., it's being done by the Murdochs. The company is publicly traded, but they own so much of it that they control it.

Liut and Azrael like this.
  7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Tucker Carlson’s a racist? My, I need some pearls to clutch.

OscarMadison and Octave like this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

He cheated, but didn't lose his wife
    Follow him too long, you lose your life
    They got some pills to ease the pain
    Can't find a thing to ease the insane
    He's their king even though he don't wear a crown
    He's their king even though he's a racist clown
    Some gotta win, some gotta lose
    Bad time Donnie's got the coups

OscarMadison, maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course.

What I'm saying is that maybe firing Tucker right now - on the heels of the Dominion settlement - is Lachlan making a power play against Rupert to save some of the value of the company.

Before the Smartmatic trial.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was more directing that to what you were responding to. ... about how the board forced anything. I was trying to say that they are the board.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is the last straw?!?

In the message, he described himself watching a video of Donald Trump supporters beating up someone he referred to as “an Antifa kid.” Carlson wrote of his conflicting emotions, hinting at his dismay that he had found himself “rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him.”

But in the most startling passage, Carlson asserted flatly that “jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight.”

After seeing the message, the board alerted Fox executives that it planned to retain a law firm to investigate Carlson’s behavior, according to a person familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive discussions.

The text message, first reported Tuesday night by the New York Times, added to a cascading set of concerns about Carlson within Fox News that led the company to fire him last week, according to several people familiar with the internal deliberations around his departure from the network.​

Tucker Carlson text on ‘how white men fight’ alarmed Fox board members — The Washington Post

Draft saved Draft deleted