1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Santos' lawyer, Joe Murray, is a former NYPD officer from Queens who it looks like might have gotten his law degree studying nights at CUNY. He ran for DA in Queens last election as a Republican, which was was as good as not running for DA in Queens as a Republican, because when he they added his name to the ballot late in the cycle, the Republican party had no plans to even contest the election.

Honestly, from what I can piece together, he's the kind of lawyer I might want representing me if I was facing a state robbery charge. He knows the system, and he'll probably put some time into your case.

On Federal money laundering, fraud. campaign finance, lying to congress charges? About the best I can say is good for him for landing a case that is going to get an insane amount of publicity for him.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Santos is just confused by where the government is getting its info. I'd guess tax and banking records are admissible in court.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The only plausible defense would be that whatever they tracked into his bank account weren't wages. The indictment said that there were no payments in July and August, so that's a start, and then maybe he can argue that the other deposits were for back wages or expense reimbursment or something else. It will be difficult for him to substantiate it if it is BS. ... and any argument like that is going to be blown to smithereens if the company was withholding taxes.

5. Inky_Wretch

At the risk of being accused of d_b-ing ... this Tuberville quote about white nationalists is astounding. Even in an era where you're used to pols saying completely dumbass things, this just gobsmacked me.

6. Inky_Wretch

More on Santos ...

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Latest Frontline

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

DEFUND PBS!

garrow likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

It's actually an embarrassment that the Feds didn't have this. It will be in the amended indictment.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. Inky_Wretch

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"HELP! I'VE BEEN SHOT!"

Draft saved Draft deleted