1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

4x a miniscule number still isn't much of anything.

[​IMG]

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3.3 million viewers in a slot that typically draws 700,000 viewers is significant.

The narrative you are so anxious to create defies any objective reality that the people actually running CNN are living in.

3. The Big Ragu

Tucker Carlson, who drew fewer viewers than that most nights, didn't have much of anything ratings wise, I guess.

<Bart Simpson gif>

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Television is not a business noted for taking the long range view. Putting Trunp on in a forum where he could do his rally thing worked to goose CNN's dismal ratings, but how often will that trick work? The bushel barrels full of excess commentary on this event made it clear to those of us (99 percent of all Americans) who didn't watch that Trump has no new material for his bit and has no intention of creating any. It's long long time between now and Election Day 2024, What will CNN do when Trump, as he will, starts giving his "exclusive" air time to Fox and the Fox wannabes at the far end of the cable news shelf?
    CNN's dilemma is not unlike that faced by DeSantis. If it tries to be Fox Lite, the viewers it's seeking will continue to prefer the uncut version. In the unlikely event it tries to be MSNBC Lite, same thing, just different viewers. And if it muddles along, nobody will watch. Middle of the road political talk has no audience and for good reason. An hour of plain old news in prime time might work, but it'd be awfully expensive and Warner Discovery shows no sign of investing in the CNN product.

maumann, DanielSimpsonDay and Hermes like this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

CNN is media, not journalism.

maumann likes this.
  6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Side question: What's the maximum sea state at which one could expect to be able to fire from one ship to another and hit what you were aiming at? SS 1? SS 0?

7. The Big Ragu

The fact that anyone thinks they are trying to be Fox Lite because of that town hall (I know you don't think that) demonstrates how triggered people were.

I think you are probably right about their prospects looking tough, but 1) they actually had little to lose by doing that town hall given how things have been for them, and 2) maybe the attention jump starts something for them, that along with more changes can draw some new viewers.

I doubt that is going to happen, but 1) I can understand why Licht would have been thinking that way, and 2) before writing off CNN for good, I'd say to wait and see what the next year or two holds. All it takes is one good war or other huge news event (including Trump winning in 2024), and maybe they can recapture some of the old viewership (although I'd be afraid that that will be temporary too, if I was them).

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The side benefit of Anderson Fukcing Cooper siding with the LGBTQ-hating fascists is that come New Years Eve, they'll know exactly where to find him.

HanSenSE and Octave like this.
  9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Aye. There the fierce DeSmet-SLUH or a private school-any other private school rivalry burns as brightly as the Peloponnesian Wars once did.
    But the most fun one to behold was them bickering over which city held more greatness, St. Louis or Kansas City.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Who knew flying a flag outside my home long after I retire means I peaked in high school?

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

One of my classmates still goes to every football game, and every time he wears his team jersey from DECADES ago.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment. Again, I totally respect your service. My parents are buried in Arlington. I guess it's all subjective, in as much as the guys I'm thinking of in terms of this really did peak a long time ago. Obviously it ain't a blanket statement.

Draft saved Draft deleted