1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The post that started it was me pointing out that CNN's ratings have been dropping like a rock, they have a new guy in charge and he is trying to change things. I said in multiple posts that you apparently didn't read (although it's more likely that you are just being you) that from Licht's perspective I could understand the attitude that he had nothing to lose, something to possibly gain. It's not a foregone conclusion that it doesn't jump start something for them or draw new viewership (despite your ability to know in advance), and even when it likely doesn't, from their perspective, they were probably thinking they would be no worse off than the anemic ratings Anderson Cooper typically gets in that slot. CNN is no worse off today than it was before that town hall. Their audience was already flagging. The possible upside? ... that something explosive happened during the town hall, or that they get clips that they can use for weeks to come or that it makes news in some way that might bring some of their lost viewers back for a while.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

semper floss

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I don't know how having millions of people actively pissed off at you because of something you did is at worst a net neutral ("no worse off"), but OK. Agree to disagree.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

African or European?

6. The Big Ragu

Drill. ...Sergeant.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Been thinking about the subway choke/death quite a bit. First, it's just an awful thing from about every angle.

I do believe there had to be some sort of charge. A person died by another person's hands. Something had to happen.

I know nothing of the Marine or his background. My gut tells me he didn't set out to kill the guy. Certainly emotions took over, but with his type of training you'd hope there's a point when he'd know it's gone on too long or it's too much.

There are questions that need answers. Hence, the charge. My gut also tells me he'll serve little or no time when it's all over.

The deceased clearly was in crisis, and appeared to present a real danger. Not even sure where to begin with how the system failed him, or if he was willing to accept help.

I do get agitated when outlets like Fox Angertainment use this as "NEW YORK IS A CRIME RIDDEN HELL HOLE!" Regular as clockwork.

The NYC subway system averages about 2.5 million riders per day, and is hitting more than 4 million at times again, post-pandemic. You put that many people together in any situation and some shit will happen. But the percentages are never talked about.

I ride the subway pretty much every day. Have I at times felt like someone could be in crisis and dangerous? Sure, on very rare occasions. But it's safe and effective, and the city is safe, despite the false narrative pushed by fucking Murdoch's outlets.

sgreenwell, Smallpotatoes and Azrael like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Good. There was no reason for him to do what he did. He needs to go to prison.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why is everybody making a big deal about the town hall being a "one-time bump"?

So is the Super Bowl. But you get more money than usual for ads during that "one-time bump", so you gladly take it. CNN made more money last Wednesday than it will make on any other Wednesday this year.

Liut likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I hope that bump of coke was worth it for Licht. I'm guessing they'll regret it in the long run.

12. The Big Ragu

The manslaughter charge rather than murder suggests that they don't think they can prove that he set out to kill Neely.

I wasn't there, so it's impossible for me to say whether he had reason to feel threatened or not (what his defense will hinge on), but I have seen (and been the target of) some pretty menacing behavior on the subway. Of course it's not a daily occurrence, but it is way, way too common.

Maybe Penny deserved to be indicted regardless, but he never stood a chance of not being indicted because of the mob that saw an opportunity to create a cause. He'll get his day in court. Hopefully it's a fair process and whatever the truth is prevails.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted