1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no fucking clue what actually happened. That's the point.

But I also would never stick my fingers in my ears and say, "He killed someone! Why wasn't he automatically arrested! No justice, no peace!"

When I hear ANYONE is arrested, my first thought is that there had better have been probable cause that led to the arrest. At the end of the day, they investigated (what a novel idea, eh?), and they think they have a manslaughter case. He was arrested.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

And just maybe they got it wrong at their initial review — the NYPD has been known on many occasions to reach the wrong conclusion. Was there political pressure? Sure. But I will say that it seems to me that he used excessive force when there was no threat to him or others.

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

The stakes couldn't be higher. I'm going to go ahead and guess they played this 'edition' during the covid year.

5. The Big Ragu

Actually, I have been surprised (pleasantly) that political pressure was kept in pretty good check. Adams impressed me with his statements, and how it was ultimately handled. They took their time, didn't go for an immediate overcharge because of the outcry, and are seemingly trying to let a semblance of justice play out.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If semi-sane people don’t want to get choked to death on the subway, they should just choose alternative means of transportation.

Let the free market sort this out.

dixiehack, Fred siegle and Woody Long like this.
  7. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

I'm all for investigation and having a sufficient predicate for an arrest, but not much investigation is needed to have enough PC to make an arrest when the body is on the floor of the subway, the dude who effected the decedent's death is right there and there are multiple witnesses and video of the incident.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This presumes J-schools will still exist.

OscarMadison and I Should Coco like this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed ... except CNN may think it can make more on a Wednesday later this year.

10. The Big Ragu

Like I said, I wasn't there. I have no idea what witnesses told the cops at the scene. There is apparently no video of what happened prior to the chokehold.

Here's the reality. You had two other people than Penny holding Neely down (who may have been painting a picture of a violent madman), and a third witness, a woman, who is already in the press saying she went back to thank Penny after it all happened (who may have painted a picture of something justifiable). It's not a slam dunk that the police really had probable cause, but because it was a homeless guy,they didn't make an arrest that they would make 99 percent of the time. That MIGHT have been the case. But the circumstances of this (that we know) certainly could have made them saying, "we should investigate more before slapping cuffs on this guy" a reasonable possibility, too.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not the same thing.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Drop and give me 32.

Draft saved Draft deleted