1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The feds are playing on the home diamond. They always bat last.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

2020 had no game played because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If he'd simply pushed the guy away and the guy fell backwards, hit his head and died ... he'd have fucking killed a guy on the subway.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At least drag queens shave their armpits

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sure.

The question is what was Neely doing to merit the push?

Or the choke hold.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So Journalism! is dying because of this latest attempt to improve sagging ratings during sweeps.

Journalism! has never truly paid the bills, all the way back to the point where Gutenberg put the monks out of business. I remember Dean Lester way back in the 1970s telling me as long as half or more of his printed pages contained display or classified ads, he made enough money to give his newspaper away for free. The content was just the gimmick to get people to see the ads. With a few exceptions, radio and television news staffs don't cover their costs (unless the station drags in massive amounts of political ads). And I still am waiting for the first pure online news product to turn a profit.

Ted Turner didn't decide to start CNN because he thought he could improve the television news product with Journalism! He thought it would make money by generating market share and advertising. He was right. Rupert Murdoch is just a much more evil version of the same guy.

William Randolph Hearst made enough money to build a castle because he sold a ton of newspapers that rarely focused on Journalism! His forte was sensationalism and yellow journalism, hardly the stuff of altruists.

The end goal hasn't changed for the people who own media. The bottom line wins. Pulitizers and Emmys don't pay the rent.

I'm with Fredrick. F-ing suits!

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sounds like journalism needs a new business model.

Non-profit news organizations might be a good place to start.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Are there rules for survival on the NYC subway?

Azrael likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

IIRC, one in Mississippi (or its reporter) won a Pulitzer earlier in the week. Yeah, I'm aware of the Favre connection.

EDIT: Not disputing your premise, Maumann.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    maumann likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You must not watch Yellowstone 1883.

Draft saved Draft deleted