1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's fairly common for them to indict and then go to the grand jury in NYC. I wouldn't put it past Bragg to behave in a way that has nothing to do with seeking actual justice, but I got the sense that Adams was making sure this was done as fairly as possible, which I thought he deserved credit for, because if it was say De Blasio still in office (or most other politicians), he would have poured gasoline on the fire and fueled the mob justice.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I feel like in stories like this, the media either overplays the significance of an ME determination that a death is a homicide or fails to adequately explain it. Often they do both. The result is that its given more significance than it deserves.

This was obviously a homicide from the minute it happened. It's on video. Witnesses reported it to the police in real-time. A finding from a medical examiner that it was not homicide would be truly bizarre unless he happened to be having an unrelated overdose while being put in the chokehold. Even a heart attack induced by the chokehold - as opposed to blocking of airways - would be a homicide.

Homicide covers all killings of one person by another. Not all homicides are crimes. A justified shooting by a police officer is a non-criminal homicide. A soldier killing an enemy combatent within the rules of engagement is a non-criminal homicide. A killing in self-defense or defense of others is a homicide.

This case is and was from the get go about whether this homicide is criminal, not whether it was a homicide.

Sea Bass, Slacker, sgreenwell and 3 others like this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The ME said it's homicide. The ME also made a point to say it's up to the justice system to determine whether it was criminal or justifiable.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course.

I'm just pointing out that the cops' investigation was very slow to start - and incomplete - because they were late to the scene.

Which accounts in part for the protests.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Right, but that second sentence gets left out of a lot of the coverage resulting in people who are less familiar with the system giving it more significance than it deserves.

Also, the NYPD should not have needed to wait for that determination to investigate (if they dd delay) since it was obvious from the jump.

Sea Bass likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

There’s a tendency for some people to cherry-pick the reports and latch on to whatever will score them points. Look at there are people who insist George Floyd OD’d on fentanyl and Derek Chauvin putting his knee on his neck had nothing to do with it, even though the report said it was a homocide.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Voiceover:

"Donald Trump says he's a tough guy. He says the 2020 election was rigged against him while he was president. He also says the man who rigged it, Joe Biden, is weak. How can all those things be true?"

Sea Bass and Smallpotatoes like this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

corruptdeepstatecorruptjusticedepartmentcorruptmainstreammedia

11. The Big Ragu

There is no evidence that the NYPD delayed investigating or there was anything improper about how it went down.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

They arrived late enough to the scene that many of the eyewitnesses were already gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted