1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My niece is on a 14U travel softball team and they use GameChanger. I had known pitch limits had been in effect for several seasons, I was just trying to figure out who kept the "official" book. Doesn't matter anyway, as I and a couple others posted, once you get up around 100, you better start making contingency plans.

sgreenwell and Batman like this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Saw this story in the paper this morning.
    CIF baseball playoff game between Oaks Christian and Mater Dei. Oaks leads, 1-0, two outs bottom of seventh (last) inning, runner on second.
    Batter hits a grounder to first, first baseman flips to the pitcher covering. Ump calls him out, game is over.
    Runner on second turns third and trots to the plate despite the game being over as Oaks players celebrate. Umps convene and they decide the pitcher missed stepping on the base while covering, so the batter is safe. They allow the run to count, tying the score.
    Oaks coach complains that the only reason the runner went to the plate was because of the initial ump's ruling of out. Umps convene again and allow the run.
    Mater Dei gets a walk-off homer in the ninth to win, 2-1.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Meet Bayside Academy, winners of 21 consecutive state volleyball championships and counting. In addition to the private school multiplier, Alabama has a rule to bump up schools that dominate a certain sport an extra classification every few years. So despite being a 2A or 3A school by population, the Admirals won their first 6A championship last fall.

https://www.baysideacademy.org/team-detail?Team=237796

SixToe likes this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

And the catcher wasn't ejected, why?

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Threw it right into that girl's face. What the fuck?

7. Starman

First pitch could be feasibly argued to be an accident -- there's a runner on 3B

Second, no way. No runner on 3B (a runner on 2B is holding). If I'm the opposing coach I'm in the throat of the HP umpire within five seconds, "I want that bitch catcher ejected from this game, she's to have the gear off and be outside the boundary of the park within 60 seconds, I want the coach ejected, the game forfeited, or we're calling the fucking police and pressing charges for assault with intent to injure."

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Reserving judgment until I do some games with it. Might clean some stuff up and help with flow since the fouls reset. Nothing worse than being in the bonus with three minutes left in the first quarter.

11. Starman

Get rid of all multiple shot free throws. All shots are one shot with live rebound.

All FTs count two points.

All current 1&1 or 2-shot fouls become one shot.

All current And-1 continuation situations remain the same. (Yes, this means a 5-point play is possible.)

Any fouls on a 3-point shot give the fouled team a throw-in from halfcourt with the defense not allowed to come outside the 3PFG line until the ball is touched inbounds. Plus a clock reset to 0:03 if less time remains in the period.

12. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

This is the NCAA women's rule. Definitely improves the flow of the game in my experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted