1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bring back the 3-to-make-2.

swingline likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Eehh. There's nothing more boring than watching people shoot multiple free throws.

I want to make it so nobody ever shoots more than one free throw at a time.

3. MileHigh

Yes, it's the worst part of the game. Hopefully, this cleans some things up and we get some better flow. We'll see. At the high school level, I'd like them to clean up the timeout rule and make them all 45 seconds instead of three fulls and two 30s.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Keep 1-and1 free throws on the seventh foul of the half. Once you get to 10 fouls, the aggrieved team gets one point and inbounds the ball.

5. MileHigh

There's too much crap for the 98 percent of table personnel to remember and not screw up. This one is pretty easy and probably the safest route. It's been in the annual rules survey for a few years so it was coming.

6. Starman

I'd go with three full timeouts (45 seconds) and two "clock stops" (15 seconds, strictly enforced)

On "clock stops,"'each team may make one substitution; the player must be at the table ready to check in at the expiration of the "clock stop."

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  7. MileHigh

Too complicated for the amateurs at the table. Subs already have to be at the table before the 15-second horn blows on timeouts and fifth fouls. Just make all of the timeouts the same so I don't have to keep asking who has what left.

sgreenwell and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Starman

I'm for that too.

Make 'em all 40 seconds, strictly timed.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm for this only in answer to a "hack-a-player" situation. If a team continually fouls a player to send him or her to the foul line, set an arbitrary number (say, 10 free throws) and any time after that they get 3 to make 2.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just when you think you've seen it all in baseball ...
    Two New York teams. A strikeout appears to end the game, but the catcher drops the ball and apparently did not tag the batter. Team in the field starts celebrating and dogpiling while the tying run scores and the batter circles the bases to score the game-winning run.

sgreenwell and I Should Coco like this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Only thing cooler than that video would be footage of the parents of both teams in a massive brawl after the result was announced.

I’m sure it was a meltdown of epic proportions.

12. MileHigh

@ChrisLong had something similar upthread:

Saw this story in the paper this morning.
    CIF baseball playoff game between Oaks Christian and Mater Dei. Oaks leads, 1-0, two outs bottom of seventh (last) inning, runner on second.
    Batter hits a grounder to first, first baseman flips to the pitcher covering. Ump calls him out, game is over.
    Runner on second turns third and trots to the plate despite the game being over as Oaks players celebrate. Umps convene and they decide the pitcher missed stepping on the base while covering, so the batter is safe. They allow the run to count, tying the score.
    Oaks coach complains that the only reason the runner went to the plate was because of the initial ump's ruling of out. Umps convene again and allow the run.
    Mater Dei gets a walk-off homer in the ninth to win, 2-1.

Draft saved Draft deleted