1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 3, 2023.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Holy crap. I did play-by-play for WRUF in Tallahassee against that 1978 team. That's how long this streak lasted. (And almost got Coach Jay Bergman killed before the game when I was supposed to be shagging balls during batting practice and completely whiffed on a line drive. He was hitting fungoes to the outfield and the ball missed his head by inches.)

Last edited: May 14, 2023
    Liut likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

At least, for once, Florida State fans won't have to watch their team lose in a home regional.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And not one national championship.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Longtime Southern Miss coach Scott Berry announces he's retiring at the end of the season. He's been at Southern Miss since 2001, and the head coach the last 14 seasons, and has averaged 37 wins per season. Definitely one of the best mid-major baseball coaches in the country.

Liut likes this.
  6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Dang, just seems like yesterday Corky Palmer was running the show.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Absolutely freakin' awesome the p-by-p guy out there during bp! Once won a free beer by stroking a shot up the middle off a head coach during bp. Morehead, Kentucky

maumann likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

IIRC, Southern Miss' College World Series run in 2009 was Palmer's last season and then Berry took over from there. Those are two of the four coaches the program has had since 1959.
    If I had to guess, No. 5 will be pitching coach Christian Ostrander. He's well-regarded as an assistant, has been on the staff for six years, and is probably due to branch out to his own head coaching gig sooner or later.

Liut likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Most college stadiums then, including UF, were barely more than a few bleachers and an open-air plywood enclosure with a wooden table on which to set the broadcast equipment. I've honestly seen nicer Little League fields than what passed for places the Gators played in the late '70s. The "press box" in DeLand (which was an old Florida State League field at one time) was perched directly above the home plate netting and balls would get up there in a hurry. I do remember wearing the glove on my left hand and keeping score with my right.

Up into my early 40s, I'd take BP and fielding practice once a year with the local American Legion team in Rocky Mount and my street clothes. It'd give the kids a chance to razz me and perhaps understand I wasn't just an old sports editor who didn't "play the game."

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Alabama has to be in the NCAA tournament, right? Although 13-14 in the SEC, they're 11th in the RPI. (It's relatively easy to be under .500 in the ACC and SEC and still be highly regarded. Or so it appears.)
    Iowa, which apparently cleared the players it briefly suspended amid sports gambling accusations, is 33-12 overall, 13-7 in the Big Ten and 29th in the RPI. Interesting.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I would think so. The SEC usually gets at least eight teams in and often 10, so they should be safe unless they completely shit the bed these next two weeks. A series loss against a struggling Ole Miss team and a one-and-done at the SEC Tournament would not help their cause. They're 5-2 with two series wins since the Bohannon thing broke, though, so they're playing well enough that a couple more wins ought to cement them.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

With a strong enough finishing kick, Bama could host the first weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted