1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

What’s the better idea?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Income: noun money received, especially on a regular basis, for work or through investments.
    Or, if your parents are rich, through inheritance.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The story is about retail theft, and “at least one violent act” occurred a whopping 16% of the time over an 8-year period. Those “violent” acts also include smash and grabs, which are almost never violence against a person. So that headline is a bit much.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

While I don't doubt there's been an inflation-driven increase in theft and 'breakage,' the NRF has really been trumpeting violence.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Right. And apparently that includes violence against display cases.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As long as Walmart keeps its 2-liter Diet Dr Thunder at $1.18, I'll resist the urge to smuggle it under my shirt.

britwrit likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A few fukcheads stole 50 Dior purses from the local mall in a daylight grab my neighbor caught on video.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just from growing up in New Jersey but "organized retail crime" usually starts with employees and sometimes, lower management.

10. The Big Ragu

Organized Retail Crime.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Ok, I got the term wrong. But still - to suddenly transform myself into an arch-capitalist - if you run a business, it's usually your employees you have to worry about.

You can't have cameras everywhere. And super easy to swipe those five purses off the loading dock and mark it down as shoplifting.

12. The Big Ragu

Shrinkage is always a problem in retail, whether it's shoplifting or your employees putting feet on merchandise.

But the big retailers have been complaining a lot about how their losses have increased dramatically over the past two to three years, and they are pointing more and more to organized theft rings. Anecdotally, FWIW, there has been a lot more violent incidents in stores over that time.

You'll probably remember during the pandemic, videos of mobs converging on stores in San Francisco and cleaning them out. Again anecdotally, that kind of high-profile cell phone video stuff isn't happening as much now, but the level of overall theft hasn't abated, and the runaway consumer price inflation is what is fueling it now. People who can't afford non discretionary items are out looking for bargains, so the market for stolen stuff from Target or Wal-Mart or Home Depot is really robust.

It affects all of us. As an example, Wal-Mart just closed a bunch of stores in bad neighborhoods in Chicago because they were losing so much money and they decided enough was enough. So now those neighborhoods don't have the lower prices Wal-Mart offers over a corner store or bodega. It also gets passed along in the form of higher prices to the rest of us. If Target is losing $500 million to $1 billion in shrinkage on a yearly basis, there is no way there isn't a spillover that hits shoppers.

Draft saved Draft deleted