1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Fair point. My point is, what is a bridge too far right now? Trump tried to overthrow the government... and is still being enabled.

Spartan Squad and wicked like this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And was held liable by a jury for sexual battery and defamation......

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Trump threw U.S. intelligence agencies under the bus. Regularly.
    He took the side of a madman autocrat over his own spooks.
    He wanted to cut off the legs of the military by pulling out of NATO.
    He used the military for a photo op in front of a church.

That's not including refusing to send the military into the Capitol when the government was attacked.

Trump has crossed many lines that would be equal to what McCarthy did, and he never suffered consequences.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The points I was making was that 1) What she said wasn't really right. A supposed media boycott didn't make Joe McCarthy impotent, and 2) what she was suggesting isn't journalism. You don't ignore things that are clearly newsworthy because you are being paternalistic about what you think people should see. If the point is that he lies, then cover it that way. Report about why what he is saying is untrue. It's up to people to decide for themselves if it's a big deal, it's not your job to try to indoctrinate them. It's not your job to try to make people not be idiots. It's your job to report the news and do it truthfully.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Report? They booked him a cheering section for his lies!

6. The Big Ragu

I'm not talking about the town hall. I was talking about her statement that the media should ignore him completely, which she said they did with McCarthy (and I don't think really happened).

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That is so disgusting it makes me furious. You don’t like that the votes aren’t going your way, so you do everything you can to make sure that there are fewer votes. Unbelievable and I hope it gets overturned in court.

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Minoritarian GQP can only win nationally by rigging the game.

It won't work.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Editors have always decided what does and does not see the light of day. Westboro was one example of the media ignoring the stupidity and the group going away.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yeah 1950s GOP fresh off of a World War and a looming threat of a communist take over would have frowned on the Jan. 6 clowns.

Neutral Corner and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Might not be super thrilled about the trumplican party's embrace of Russia, either...

12. The Big Ragu

Donald Trump is a former U.S. president, whose time in office had a profound effect on the country. He's leading in every poll of likely GOP candidates by a wide margin for the next election. He's nothing like your example. If you are the editor of a news organization that normally covers political news, and you ignore Trump because you don't like him and you think it will make him go away, whatever you are editing is a joke.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted