1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I emptied my classroom library a couple of months ago. I'm not playing the game. The other day I was carrying a bookshelf down the hall because I obviously don't need it. Our biology teacher passed me and said, "You, too, huh? I'm not going to let some 10th grade dropout with a GED dictate what educational materials I have in my classroom."

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hasn't paid a nickel and never will. What are they gonna do, throw him in jail?

wicked likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If you recommend a random book to a student, can they come down on you for that?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When dissing Florida, stop and think of the Floridians. (Not actually kidding here).

(W)hat do you want us to do? Please, do not be so obtuse as to say “vote,” or we will eliminate you during the rose ceremony. Plenty of Floridians are organizing and protesting, and most others simply want to get their kid to language arts class while there are still a few books left. It’s true, our overlords may be toasting each other with tawny port, but please, the regular people are just standing in the sub line at Publix.

Move, you say. Get out! Ah, yes, the most specious argument of all. Plenty of residents, teachers and LGBTQ+ people chief among them, are choosing to leave Florida, and not a soul could blame them. But just assuming everyone can uproot their lives stems from a place of privilege that doesn’t account for money restraints, family obligations, custody arrangements, hard-fought careers or deep relationships.

And this bullet point must be whispered: Some of us like it here. I know, what? Many Floridians are invested in our communities. Some of us enjoy year-round tropical weather, sprawling parks and beaches, breathtaking wildlife. Some of us came to Florida so we wouldn’t have a coronary shoveling show.

Further-further-furthermore, do you want us, Asheville? How about you, Philadelphia? Is there room in Portland for 21 million? Do you guys all have spotless state governments?​

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/20...estaurants-redistricting-pride-teachers-guns/

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And yet, there are many in the military and law enforcement who love him.
    Why?
    He essentially tells them it's okay to be racist.
    It's the same with the white trash element (sorry, but it's true). Trump wouldn't piss on a Kentucky Walmart clerk or oil change guy if he or she were on fire. But they're going to always adore him because he tells them with his many dog whistles that they can hate black and brown people, immigrants, gays and trans.
    You can't believe how much that appeals to that element. It's how they get their sex.
    Jeff Daniels was right in an interview I saw: the only reason Trump stays relevant is race.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Your analysis is spot-on and a sad indictment of our country.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

100 percent accurate and in retrospect a needed unveiling of sentiments that had been silently held and rarely unmasked. It was easy to be casually racist and not have to answer for it or really even have to own it — for decades.

There was no need to show your true colors when everything was breaking your way as a white male; but once that genetic lottery ticket no longer guaranteed you a certain standing, it came out in spades. Pun intended.

The democrats and the liberals sure as shit dont hold all the answers and their policies and leadership—especially in big cities— can rightfully be called into question. But you cant deny they’re at least amenable to new ideas, trying shit out. Republicans give fuck all about any truth that runs counter to their own self interest.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I will be obtuse and say vote.

22 million people in Florida.

17.6 million are over 18.

7 million voted in the last governor's race.​

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

It would probably help if there were actually two parties, as state Democrats are a dumpster fire from what I hear.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

However many former prisoners lost their right to vote in Florida after the people voted to have that right restored. All because they might not vote for Mickey Ron.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted