1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure American history trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Is that why the Tennessee-Virginia line goes right through the middle of Bristol?

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Probably, but even that isn't correct. If you look to the east of Bristol, there is part of the state line that is about a mile and a half north of there. If go to Middlesboro, Ky., it jogs again about a mile and a half.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I’m just glad to be on the Tennessee side where there’s no state income tax.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

There's a weird piece of Massachusetts that dips down into Connecticut.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ha! We beat Georgia!

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Is that a relic from when Massachusetts was a huge colony with Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island until people started breaking off for, largely, religious reasons?

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

No. I don't think Connecticut was part of Massachusetts or was Vermont. It was a surveyor's error.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sorry I mixed that up. Connecticut was founded because Thomas Hooker was fed up with the Massachusetts leadership and started Connecticut. And I always need notes when I’m teaching New Hampshire because I always mix up Vermont and NH. New Hampshire was needed because of a growing population and people from Massachusetts and elsewhere settled the area under a new charter.

Apologies. It was because of Massachusetts not from Massachusetts.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Maine was once part of Massachusetts.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Pulled out "How the States Got Their Shapes."

What was the southern border of Massachusetts, which had recently formed by the merger of the Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay colonies? The Plymouth Colony's charter put the southern border of Massachusetts at 40 degrees N latitude. That turned out to be the latitude of Philadelphia. The Massachusetts Bay Colony's charter described the southern border as a line due west from a point "three English miles to the southward of the southernmost part of the of the said Bay called Massachusetts."

Massachusetts argued for a line due west from a point 3 miles south of the town of Plymouth. Connecticut opted for a line due west from a point 3 miles to the south of the southernmost reach of the Charles River.

Ultimately, Massachusetts accepted Connecticut's approach but not the river, since the Charles is not the southernmost waterway leading into Massachusetts Bay. The Bay's southernmost tributary is the Neponset River. Hence, Connecticut's northern border is formed by a line due west from a point 3 miles south of the southernmost point of the Neponset River.

This negotiation was prolonged by the fact that the towns of Enfield, Somers, Suffield and Woodstock, which existed well before Connecticut, were located in the disputed zone.

Finally, in 1804, the two sides areed that as compensation in Massachusetts for losing these towns, Connecticut would partition Congamond Lakes farther west. This is why there is a notch in the northern border of Connecticut.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Several Americans have been the author (and subject) of Pulitzer Prize-winning biographies. Name two.

Draft saved Draft deleted