1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

As another one of SJ's resident Minnesotans, here's the news from Lake Wobegon.

As mentioned, the Dems finally got a trifecta after several years of having to cut deals with the Senate, and they put it into action. As an outsider, I find the Minnesota Legislature to be a rather funny place, mostly because they are constitutionally required to be done with their work for the year in late May. In divided government, this has led to a lot of dog's breakfast kinds of bills done on deadline, and in some cases, such as 2022, no deal at all, when the parties could not come to an agreement on a "bonding bill" to fund capital projects.

Every odd numbered year, the Legislature is supposed to pass a budget, and every even-numbered year, they typically pass a bonding bill, though this year, to their credit, they managed to get both over the line even though a bill in which the state takes on debt requires a supermajority.

I wouldn't exactly say they pitched a left-wing perfect game, however. Mayo Clinic basically extorted the state out of a bill regarding nurses staffing, and Uber and Lyft got the governor to cave in and veto a bill that would have established a statewide minimum wage of sorts for Uber drivers.

After reading that the numbskulls were threatening employees, I find myself kind of torn. Retail employees have to put up with enough shit as it is, do they deserve to have to face down armed menaces because of their company's apparel line?

Driftwood likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Hilarious.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

matt_garth likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

10. Neutral Corner

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Have the boycotts really hurt these companies as much as Charlie Kirk and the guy with the beard, the phony law degree and phony Irish name say they have?

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted