1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think that’s an overreach. They can ask for fines as restitution, but I — while not a lawyer — feel like the government targeting funds raised specifically because they’ve raised them approaches a first amendment line I think we shouldn’t cross.

Twirling Time likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just let them fail to report the money as income, then nail their asses again for tax evasion.

Driftwood and Woody Long like this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If they’re only seizing money above and beyond the cost of legal fees, I’m not terribly troubled by it. But I do think it’s a slippery slope. And they have to be committed to seizing everybody’s excess. That’s the hard part.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The money can be seized as cations"profits from a criminal enterprise." Used against drug dealers for years. All the laws enacted as part of the "Wars" on drugs and terrorism have dreadful civil liberties implications, hell, make that consequences, but it wasn't noticed when it was assumed the villains were swarthy foreigners or even swarthier Americans.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Use civil forfeiture. The right doesn’t seem to mind when it’s used against the poor and people of color.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Uhhh, Randy Quaid agrees with me about Keith Paxton!"--GOP frontrunner Donald J. Trump said Sunday at his golf course, Shady Acres.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In the words of my generation, up yours.

Baron Scicluna and TowelWaver like this.
  8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the DOJ is overplaying its hand with J6? That maybe they’re punishing non-violent offenders too harshly (though how does one non-violently smash a window to get into a restricted area?)

That said, to be convicted of assaulting a police officer and claiming to be a “political prisoner “ takes unmitigated gall.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Defunding the IRS is the biggest WTF thing I see in the debt-limit deal. If your goal is to lower the debt, wouldn't improving the ability of the agency to bring more owed taxes in help in that? I understand the other stuff - but the law and order GOP is a myth. The big question is if McCarthy is going to slide this on to the floor without a majority GOP vote (Hastert Rule) and rely on the Dems to push it over the line.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That should be linked as NSFW.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The goal is not to limit the debt.

Tarheel316 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted