1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know, I know - but the question needs to be asked.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Now it seems to me, that supporters of Mr. Trump--the so-called MAGA movement--need to be reminded that his actions on January 6th, 2021 represented a single aspect of a multi-pronged attack aimed squarely at countermanding the results of the 2020 presidential election. Additionally, it should be emphasized that Mr. Trump's supporters considered the use of executive orders by the previous administration to be an extraordinarily vile betrayal of the republic while at the same time erasing their own complicity vis a vis January 6th with a Stalinesque zeal."

[​IMG]

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

M
    If they get pro-bono lawyers, I’m don’t see a problem with it. If you’re paying your own freight, fundraise away.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The executive orders of the previous administration were extremely uppity.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

We've not really taken the discussion of this topic this far, but I'm curious what people think of that move by the Walton Arts Center in relation to the Fayetteville Pride Day, and what people have actually thought of Target moving its Pride Month display to a less-visible place in the store.

It's a tough issue because, apparently, there really is a safety/security issue involved if some people are going to engage in violence and intolerance, or threaten others with the possibility of it.

For the sake of discussion, what should stores, or other public places that may have the same concerns, do?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

All promo months are exactly that — blatant money grabs by corporations. If you are so weak that you need a billion-dollar corporation to profit off your demo in order to feel better about yourself, I’m pretty certain you won’t when they do.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Nope. If someone is was there, they are guilty by association.
    If someone was at the rally, but went back to whatever rock they crawled out from under, they are stupid but OK.
    If you took one step toward the Capitol, you are as guilty as them all.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

To answer my own questions with my views:

When it comes right down to it, and in the face of an actual experience of violence, destruction and intolerance, stores will always err on the side of caution and the safety of those in the facility -- even if it isn't the best, and certainly isn't the intended, outcome of such a promotion. As they should do.

I wouldn't denigrate Target over its handling of its experience as I think it should consider first and foremost the safety of its employees and other customers. I also don't fault the Walton Arts Center for its decision. When fear is fomented, and real, these are the kinds of things that happen. Extremists apparently can't seem to regulate themselves or their reactions, and whether or not it's just performative theater can't be determined with any assurance.

That leaves it up to the companies/entities involved to make the decisions they think best. With liability always being such a major consideration, the moves made by these entities are hardly a surprise.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I can see that. But I also worry it emboldens those who’d threaten violence. I like how The North Face handled the right-wing shriekers.

North Face Stands Up to Hate Over Pride Gear, Drag Queen Ad

Edit: The WAC also claimed Pride wanted a no-parents zone - which is part of the reason they wouldn’t let them use the venue. Pride said that wasn’t true at all and that parents were encouraged to attend - same as last year.

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted