1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A "partially retractable roof" according to this one.
    A's release first renderings of proposed new Las Vegas ballpark

Looks like a lot uncovered and exposed to the desert heat.
    Avg. high temps by month:
    June: Vegas 102, Arlington 90
    July: Vegas 105, Arlington 95
    August: Vegas 106, Arlington 95
    September: Vegas 96, Arlington 88

That ain't gonna work any better than Name Du Jour Coliseum has.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That image is with the roof open. I've seen others with it closed all the way. I think by "partially retractable" they mean part of the roof opens, but a substantial part of the stadium always has a roof overhead.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

All I ask is that Jose Madrigas throws out the first pitch for Opening Day.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Baseball is going to be far more attractive to tourists than football. Easy to get tickets, right on the Strip. I'm guessing 30% tourists is a conservative estimate.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is a brilliant idea.
    • Games should be over before the shows at night
    • The restaurants get a second wave of diners (pre-show diners and post-ballgame diners)
    • Blue hairs don't need to stay up late
    • For East Coasters visiting Vegas, it's not much of a change to their biological clock
    • TV revenue will be shit anyway, and AT&T Sportsnet won't be a thing for much longer
    Now they'll probably need to put solar panels across the entire state to harvest enough energy to cool down the place with high-powered AC, but that's for another day.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Las Vegas games at 4 pm local time will be in the 7 pm Eastern time zone, as far as TV exposure is concerned.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I wonder what 4 p.m. start times would do to concession sales. It would have to at least marginally depress food and alcohol sales on weeknights, I’d think.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They'll probably have a sports book in the ballpark with the A's getting a cut, so it's less of an issue.

Also if it's 112 outside, even if it's a dry heat and folks are in air conditioning, people are going to want to (de)hydrate — they'll be buying lots of waters or lots of beers.

Hermes likes this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When Vegas had an ECHL team playing at the Orleans Arena, it had 3 or 4 games start at midnight. They realized the percentage of Vegas residents work in the entertainment/food industry and are busy at 7 p.m. I think those games were fairly well attended. I think the arena sat about 9,000.

Draft saved Draft deleted