1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 3, 2023.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m guessing PK is Phil Knight and that was an obligatory “screw Oregon” shitpost.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

PK Park is named after Pat Killkenny, a booster who has donated millions and who was the AD when baseball was brought back, at the expense of their wrestling program (Ex-UO wrestlers disparagingly call him 'Pat Killedwrestling.'). Except for the seats being too far from the playing field and a ridiculously oversized logo in CF, it's a very nice facility, located in the shadow of Autzen Stadium.

Oregon baseball draws about 1,000 fans per game, unless they are 1, playing Oregon State, in which case attendance ranges in the 3K range due to a huge influx of OSU fans, or B, its spring football weekend and everyone gets in free. So there are numerous seats that do not get used during the season.

Oregon dropped baseball in 1981 and brought it back in 2007, in direct response to OSU winning back-to-back NCAA titles. There was no hue and cry to restore the program from the alumni base, numerous attempts had been rebuffed by numerous ADs, until OSU won big, and they haven't draw much historically.

The standing joke is former OSU coach Pat Casey is the true father of Oregon baseball. Supposedly some members of the engineering firm that built the stadium also buried an OSU jersey under the turf someplace, since most in-state construction engineers are OSU grads.

Oregon rents the stadium to the Class A Eugene Emeralds of the Northwest League. The Ems had a huge home series this weekend and had already pre-sold thousands of dollars in tickets. Oregon kicked them out and now they are going to have to refund money or make other arrangements. Ems GM says it's a $500,000 kick in the shorts.

UO Ducks success causes Eugene Emeralds series change | News | kezi.com

So, you guessed poorly.

[​IMG]

This is a pretty typical crowd. And this is a nice day for baseball in the PNW.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    Batman likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My mistake, and my apologies.
    Southern Miss' stadium is Pete Taylor Park and I got my wires crossed amongst the posts. Thought you'd messed up the name of their stadium (PK Park/PT Park) and were taking a shot at the mid-major hosting over an SEC team when, in fact, it was a bit of the other way around.

Liut likes this.
  4. dixiehack

So how many seats were available if Oregon had to travel to Mouthy Bob?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like a hard 2,500 or so. Capacity is listed as 2,418 chairback seats and it doesn't look like they have any bleachers or seating of any kind anywhere in the outfield — or even any room to bring in temporary bleachers to squeeze another couple thousand in there. Not even any concourses to pack them in on as SRO tickets.
    They have been a regular host of their conference tournament, though.

[​IMG]

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

When you get two unseeded teams for a Super Regional it should be like that old Big 10 rule about who goes to the Rose Bowl in case of a tie -- longest wait gets it. So the SR host needs to be the team that has gone longest since hosting and if that is a tie, smaller conference school gets to host.

7. dixiehack

Eh, ORU isn’t a draw even now though. It might have been one thing if the Tulsa Drillers were out of town for the weekend but they aren’t, and that facility isn’t up to snuff. A No. 2 regional seed hosting a No. 4 is hardly outrageous.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I remember watching the Super last year. Great crowd but Ole Miss took them out of it pretty quick.

Oregon deserves to host, just too bad they couldn't accommodate the Ems somehow. I may not like them but it's been great for the Beavers to have their natural rival back on the field.

Liut likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

This has to be one of the dumber articles which I’ve seen in a while. An article about how OU softball is unapologetic in the face of the criticism of all of their celebrations. And yet the article doesn’t cite a single such criticism or celebration which has been considered to be excessive.

'Unapologetic' OU softball defends celebrations

dixiehack likes this.
  10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Same here. I got crossed up and likely caused the confusion in the first place.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s a park that celebrates placekickers.

2muchcoffeeman, Batman and Liut like this.
  12. dixiehack

Or penalty kills.

Draft saved Draft deleted