1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 3, 2023.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I always took the "P" out of PK when it was listed on a roster. You have kickers and punters, K and P. You don't have drop-kickers (DK) whom you have to differentiate from placekickers.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As a young kid, I would see a strong safety with an SS next to them in the starting lineup on the TV screen and wonder why a football team had a shortstop.

Of course, SS also refers to an evil group from the first half of the 20th century.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    Batman and Liut like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At one school I covered, the announcer would always read WR not as wide receiver, but wing right.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Shoutout to the University of Lynchburg for winning the DIII baseball title today over Johns Hopkins. Know a lot of people from that school (it will always be LC to me) and super pumped for them. Hornets got out of a bases-loaded jam in the 8th and closed it out with a K in the 9th. Really fun.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner and HanSenSE like this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

Base runner for Duke was diving back to first and took a throw from the catcher right in the mush. Oof.

10. dixiehack

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another angle showed it wasn't close to going out. The outfielder was still a full step in front of the wall, and it would've banged off the wall if he hadn't been there to catch it. Still some great drama, though. I loved the replay of the batter getting excited and taking his helmet off while running to first base, thinking he'd gotten the walk-0ff, and then ... nope.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Southern Miss vs. Tennessee tale of the tape.

Draft saved Draft deleted