1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 3, 2023.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When did the ripping the shirt off the hero become a thing in baseball?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The start of Alabama-Wake Forest is being delayed and the stadium gates closed for a "non-game-related medical event."

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Nothing official released yet, but seeing some Twitter reports that the medical emergency at the Wake-Bama game was an ESPN producer who had a heart attack and died.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, down in Baton Rouge, they're apparently pushing hard to make sure they play the whole game or not at all. There's a 50 percent chance of rain and thunderstorms all afternoon. If one of them comes along in the third inning and nukes a Skenes start, a lot of people are going to be pissed.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is pretty freakin' ridiculous. LSU and Kentucky are in a weather delay — until 7 p.m. This is the scene at Alex Box Stadium at 3 p.m.

And this is the radar picture. I get that they don't want to start and stop and waste a start by their ace, but you've got to play the damn game.

LSU-Weather-1.jpg

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Rain delay in Baton Rouge for a storm in Shreveport. I’ve seen it all now. (Except for Bama’s game, which I heard the end of on the way back from kayaking.)

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Southern Miss and Tennessee went into a 90-minute weather delay in the fourth inning, came back, played another half-inning, and then went into another delay. Thunderstorms are just hanging over the entire state. Officials are scheduled to meet at 7 p.m. CST to assess things, and they'll probably decide whether to play or suspend it then. Southern Miss has a turf field, so it's really a matter of how long they want to wait.
    Tough break for Southern Miss. They're up 4-0 in the fifth inning, their starter was dealing when the first delay hit, and they had all the momentum.
    On the plus side, they used their No. 2 pitcher today and saved the ace for Sunday. So if they can finish this tonight (or tomorrow), they're lined up well for Game 2.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I assume that A. LSU has a great deal of say about the play/no play decision since the game hasn’t officially started and B. the NCAA is going to nail that loophole shut this off-season after this embarrassment.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Holy shit, they're actually playing in Baton Rouge. And Skenes is on the mound for LSU. Knock my ass over with a feather. Thought we might have half the field booking their hotels in Omaha before they threw a pitch.

Not so lucky in Hattiesburg, though. They called it a night after another 3 1/2-hour delay that looks like it's not going to let up. Game 1 will resume at 11 a.m. CST on Sunday, with Tennessee batting in the bottom of the fifth inning. Game 2 to follow at 2 p.m. or 55 minutes after Game 1, whichever comes first.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Somebody has to answer some hard questions about this debacle. Was it the NCAA holding off? Was it one coach or both coaches? Who had the final call, and what kind of forecast were they looking at that they didn't think they could play? They didn't call a delay until right before the game — fans were in the stadium, players were warming up — so it wasn't like they should have been relying on a forecast that didn't materialize.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It’s weird. Nine hours after your post, ESPN has nothing on the incident. Not even a story on the game. All I can find is they said they won’t address it at the presser. But even after almost 10 hours, I feel like they should have something. At least “An ESPN employee had a medical incident before the Alabama-Wake Forest game. Out of respect for family, we are not commenting at this time. Details will be released as appropriate.”

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted