1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This stadium is the future, size wise. Teams are done putting 12,000 people in a stadium that holds 50,000.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That 40th market will have all major sports within a few years.

lol, lol, lol, lol. You’d think you were yankeefan the way you lol.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Teams draw 12,000 because of ineptitude, not lack of interest. Tampa is the only franchise I can think of that’s been a consistent winner for an extended period of time yet still draws flies to the ballpark.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Vegas/Henderson wasn't even a top-50 market in 2000. It's growing so fast it will be a top-30 market before too long.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

There's a new level of insufferable twit that Rob Manfred attains every time he opens his mouth.

matt_garth likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOL

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The next round of stadium extortion should be heating up soon as the 80s/90s generation of urban retro parks starts to age out.

Minnesota, Texas, Atlanta already done
    KC in progress
    Major renovations at Toronto
    Up fairly soon White Sox, Indians??

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Halos

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ohh yeah. Coors, CoPa and all the rest to follow. I'm sure there will be a big renovation/remodeling thing for Yankee Stadium 25 in 2034 (and Citi of course).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Oakland won 95 games two years in a row, yet no one came to the park.

11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Progressive Field has had multiple renovations, the last just in the past year. It's in great shape.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you on public money being spent on billionaires, but let's be serious, buildings that have 2-3 million visitors every year and whose insides are exposed to the elements 365 days of the year do accumulate some wear-and-tear and need constant, sometimes more than routine maintenance.

My house was less than 20 years old when I bought it. In the intervening 30+ years, both bathrooms have been overhauled, the floors have been updated, two new roofs, brand-new kitchen installed, new trim and doors throughout, two patio fences, new carpet in places where there is still carpeted, several fixes to the motors on the garage doors, about 6-7 paint jobs outside and in, new appliances ...

Stuff wears out, and needs updating.

Draft saved Draft deleted