1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The winnings spend all the same.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Georgetown -3. Hoyas win by 2. Pain.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The first step to getting help is to admit that you have a problem. Which you did.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Friend of mine’s son plays DI college lacrosse. He transferred schools this year. Friend told us recently. Looked up his schedule to see if he was playing anywhere near here; he wasn’t. But he did have a game the day I looked. I thought … should I bet on it? There was a spread on it. And they were sizeable dogs. I thought of betting on it just for the hell of it. But nah. Too bad, because they won outright.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

You can bet on fucking PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE! I don't (I'm not a sicko like @Cosmo :D) but I was looking up odds for something else and found odds for the National Lacrosse League. I went to an NLL game once and it was beyond unwatchable. There's no amount of gambling that could make that shit watchable.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

“What, Vince, where?”

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Won 86 cents betting Delaware +2.5 at half today. :)

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Put down a couple of bets on college baseball regionals today. Liked Southern Miss +150 to win the Auburn regional and Coastal Carolina +140 to win its own regional. Threw down a couple of small futures flyer bets on both of them to win it all as well. $5 on Coastal at +5000 and $5 on Southern Miss at +6500. Viva le Sun Belt!
    Figure it'll give me some extra rooting interest this weekend.
    And before you call me a degenerate, I live in SEC country so I follow this stuff. I'm taking calculated risks here, based on some knowledge.

Unfortunately, I screwed up and also bet a couple of MLB games. Had the Cardinals -1.5 vs. the Royals and it turned into a pitcher's duel. Cards finally get a second run in the bottom of the eighth to go up 2-0, then the closer gives up a run in the ninth. Blew up that bet and a three-teamer with the Braves and Yankees. Violated my own rules on time-shifted parlays and paid the price.
    Just a harsh reminder why it's a terrible idea to bet anything more than a shits-and-giggles $5 parlay on MLB games.

Should've just bet the Braves-A's moneyline like I'd planned. Which, I guess, raises a question. The A's are obviously heading for at least 100 losses, and maybe 110 or 120. Without running the numbers, is it conceivable that just betting against them in every game would net you a tidy profit by the end of September? The odds will be shit, but if you go 75-30 the rest of the way it might work out for you, right?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A's would have to be an average of under +250 the rest of the way for that calculation to profit.

Last 13 games they've been +203. Last 10 they've been +267.

Batman likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If the odds were an average of -250, which is reasonable for how bad they are, if you bet $10 a night you would win $300 on those 75 bets. You would also lose $300 if you bet $10 a game and lost 30. So it’s basically a break-even prop at best.

Batman likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Every time I read a Forbes story I can feel brain cells dying.

Draft saved Draft deleted