1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 3, 2023.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Told y’all.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

WTF is the Virginia manager doing?

Is he drunk? I mean, fuck it. Just keep the kid in to face batters 8-9-10 too many.

dixiehack likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yep. Absurd.
    The guy who was finally summoned once the situation got too impossible to salvage should have told the coach to expletive off. The decision to stick with a soft-tossing, National League lefty while he walked people and hit people has to be demoralizing to the poor sucker who was finally asked to take the mound. The coach was basically telling that guy, "I hate you. I think you suck. I don't trust you."
    The coach has lost his team for whatever remains in this CWS. History says that if you lose your opener in Omaha, your odds of winning the tourney are next to nil. After getting to sit and stew for a day, you play a game that historically does nothing but postpone your ultimate execution.

Scout likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oregon State in 2018 was the last team to lose its opener and go on to win the whole thing.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Also did it in 2006. Won six elimination games.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

USC announces plans to update its baseball stadium. The SEC took a look at it and said, "Aw, that's cute."
    The list of "features" sounds like when you look at the ones on a new car that include things like air conditioning, air bags and a steering wheel.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was a student and covered baseball for the Daily Trojan when they opened the current stadium -- in 1974. I remember the fleet of limos lined up outside the stadium. Rod Dedeaux was a rich and influential guy.

The Angels ended spring training in Palm Springs and stopped in for a Tuesday afternoon exhibition game against the Trojans. They brought the whole announcing crew -- Dick Enberg, Don Drysdale. That was when Drysdale was doing live commercials and one of them was for Busch Gardens in Van Nuys. His script said: "Have you ever seen a cockatoo on a bicycle?" But what he said was: "Have you ever seen a cock or two on a bicycle?"

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

With the weather delay in Omaha, I went back and rewound the interview they just did with the director of the Wake Forest pitching lab. That’s one of the smartest interviews I’ve seen this year, maybe the smartest ESPN will have in 2023. And she was a natural TV presence as well.

https://www.wakeforestpitchinglab.com/staff.html

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Still only the second most amazing accomplishment to come out of that program ... and winning it all in Omaha won't top it:

Wake Forest coach donates kidney to player

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It will open just in time for the big series against Rutgers and Northwestern.

It's unbelievable how far SC has fallen since they kicked out Mike Gillespie. Them bragging about "The official Twitter of the 12-time National Champion USC Trojan Baseball program!" is like Harvard, Yale or Army bragging about all their national football titles.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted