1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Manfred would have been cheerleading Rachel Phelps' Indians the entire season. Until the last 6 weeks, anyway.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

See also Montreal, 2002-3
    Milwaukee 1964-66
    Athletics (several seasons, 1950s-60s-70s etc etc)
    Chicago White Sox 1973-75
    St. Louis Browns (unintentional, 1953)
    Cleveland Indians (movie, 1989)
    Several NHL, NBA franchises
    Flint Tropics (movie, ABA, 1976)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
  3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Baseball sold the Expos down the river. Allan H. Selig's commissioner's office. No other 'help' was needed.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Two biggest franchise thefts were the Expos and the Sonics (that was much, much worse). Of course Stern skates on the Sonics. Vancouver Grizzlies and Charlotte Hornets I weren't too far behind.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Expos were not stolen, they were never going to make it there. The Expos love is revisionist history. Expos were my favourite team, they weren’t getting a stadium, weren’t supported by fans or the business community and it wouldn't work now either.

The Sonic should have never been touched, I imagine they’ll be back in a few years. Grizzlies weren’t going to make it either. We used to get in for 5 bucks and sit wherever we wanted. It might work now, the landscape has changed here but it would need a new arena and an owner who can afford 3 billion dollar asking price.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The Dodgers and Giants left New York. The Colts and Browns, historic and wildly popular franchises, were moved.

The Expos and Sonics are nowhere close to that level, even as terrible as the Sonics move was.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And neither will be Oakland.

Hermes likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I still have a stupid theory that the A’s make it in Oakland if Mt. Davis had never been erected.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All the owners can afford the asking price. They just believe it is the duty of the taxpayers to give them hundreds of millions of dollars -- in straight giveaways in stadium funding, sweetheart tax breaks and revenue guarantees, as well as Santa Claus stocking stuffer real estate deals for control of stadium adjacent properties to double (or more) the value of the original stadium deals.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another move from Oakland, or, switching Chronicles.

Worth noting: Kawahara also covered the Raiders in their last seasons in Oakland!

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And fucking Manfred, just like fucking Selig, is going to roll into the HOF the moment he's eligible. Which I'd hope would be very soon, except his replacement will be even worse. It's the American way.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

BYH-

I believe Manfred is the worst commissioner any sport ever had, and at the most critical juncture of that sport.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted