1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My friend, a talented architect who quit to become a locomotive engineer because he loved trains, was working in the cab of a commuter train with no air conditioning. The temperature was 125 in the cab. A supervisor ordered him to run his train or face discipline, which goes on your career record. He did and passed out, suffering a serious brain injury. The father of a young child, he recovered with permament hearing loss, severe vertigo and other long-term effects that make daily life a challenge. He sued his former employer transit agency and won an award of $11 million.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It’s the Ayn Rand shit. “If they don’t like it they can always quit.”’ As if it’s ever that simple.

Seriously, how big a burden is requiring water breaks?
    One would think that whatever productivity is lost during that 40 minutes or so during a shift wouldn’t be as much as whatever productivity is lost when they have to cart workers away for heat stroke or dehydration.

HanSenSE, franticscribe and Driftwood like this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yes. ... Yes it is. ... You are correct, sir!

maumann likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Construction jobs are different. Unless things are dead slow and jobs are hard to come by, the attitude of a lot of people is a lot more casual than office jobs. I was used to those, and it sorta blew my mind how many people would occasionally decide to go fishing or something and just no show.

Generally if you have a skill above general labor you can get another construction job pretty quickly unless there's a recession or something. A job foreman cutting off access to water could find himself with half a crew pretty quickly. I guess if they all did it things might be different, but most people are not going to cut off water in the summer. I'm guessing the real issue is mandating the ten minute paid break, not drinking water.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

How much of a burden is mandatory 10-minute breaks, though?

HanSenSE and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

"Dock (them) a day's pay for napping on the job"

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I never realized Continental soldiers ate well enough to weigh 350 pounds.

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Why does she deserve a profile exactly? Because people think she's pretty? I'm serious about this, where is the interest?

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Donald Trump couldn't identify the two main belligerents in the American Revolutionary War if you spotted him Great Britain.

garrow, Tarheel316 and Octave like this.
  11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

If somebody could explain why the dippity shit uses his own name in quote marks, I would be forever grateful.

Fred siegle likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

She’s pretty clearly his chief political advisor. If we’re talking spouses of presidential candidates, she’s probably the best pure speaker, well, in a long time. What she thinks may be - and often is - objectionable. But she’s sharp. And chip-on-the-shoulder driven.

She’s also - if you were looking for whatever we want to call the uncomfortable fusion between faith and politics and a curious style of public mothering in the service of a bland male authority - she’s it.

I have a hard time believing her husband makes it anywhere in presidential politics but he gets in the general, Casey DeSantis will get a ton of attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted