1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He's got the best lawyer of all that bunch. He parked his sub on the seabed months ago and hid.

I'll be very surprised if he isn't the star witness in Jack Smith's 1/6 case.

2. Neutral Corner

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ah, that's that "moderate," Nancy Mace.

I wish we could just ignore the lot of them.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Sam finds safe haven in the editorial pages of Rupert's newspaper.

But the damned libruhl media. Just imagine the outrage they'd display if one of the Trump kids had pleaded guilty to felonies.

7. Neutral Corner

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There is zero chance I would ever consent to interview him unless the motherfucker was gagged until I was able to finish every response to his statements. People just allow him to constantly interrupt and dominate the interview.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Man, there’s a name I havent heard in ages.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    Octave likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

what am I missing about Jordan Petersen? I’ve read most of his 12 rules book, watched innumerable clips of him on podcasts (with Joe Rogan, etc.) and in his own seminars, and I find most of his opinions to be sound, confident, and also lamented. He seems like a tortured soul who has ably described some of the torture others experience — but because they’re the laments of white, straight guys in North America, they’re dismissed at best and ridiculed at worst.

I wanna understand why the people I fear the most — the disenfranchised white males — see him as a prophet of sorts. And why some people think it’s productive to shame this demographic without understanding their sentiments.

I can’t believe I’ve come around to this way of thinking, but here we are…

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I have kind of been living this challenge for some time now in that I have a dear, and rather surprisingly for Jordan Peterson, female friend who is a big fan. In fact I believe she was sharing some of his content earlier this evening on the socials. I have decided not to press this issue with her because she is now 4 1/2 years into a battle with an inoperable lung cancer, but that's beside the point.

I have tried to understand this phenomenon as best I could without going too far down the rabbit hole, almost as if handling radioactive materials, and here's what I've observed.

When I look at Jordan Peterson's oeuvre, I see three things in roughly equal parts:
    1. Basic human decency out of the Boy Scout handbook (make your bed, pet a cat you see in your neighborhood, etc.)
    2. Semantic gobbledygook (it's been a while since I looked into the whole 'maps of meaning' book of whatever it was called)
    3. Militant devotion to a societal status quo, based sometime before white men had to pay any mind to the concerns of minority groups of any sort

The one time, several years ago, I tried to push back against this I was met with a debate and counter, not just from her but mostly from other Peterson devotees, that well, you don't really understand, and that you're forming your opinion based on bad-faith critics who are trying to destroy his message because they find it dangerous. "Cultural Marxism," which is just a stupid term in which they've attached a scare word to bolster their argument, in my humble opinion.

To answer CD's question, the reason that the disenfranchised North American white male seems to be gravitating to this is, to a point, the same reason they've gravitated towards Trump: that they are the victims of the elaborate deception: by the transgenders and the BLM and the feminists, and that there is a status quo nirvana that must be returned to before it's too late and traditional values and meaning are inexorably lost.

CD Boogie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted