1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

About checks. This came up a few years ago. I was at dinner with my father and aunt. They mentioned some concern about doing business online because of fraud. I reminded them that they used to give strangers checks with their names, addresses, bank account number, and often their SS number, phone number or license number.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Those, and the annual Holiday Inn catalogue of properties were mandatory for road trips.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Also the Mobil travel guides.

"Oooh, this Days Inn has TWO stars! And free dinner for kids 12 and younger!"

4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I had a Rand McNally Road Atlas and a Motel 6 Directory tucked in the sidewall of my car door.

Batman likes this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Mail order (send check and order form); Sears catalog, Columbia Music, etc.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My dad never trusted online banking, all the way to the end. He didn't have any money tied to an online system, no credit cards, no banks, nothing. It was part of his routine to write checks for bills, balance the checkbook, and go to the mailbox.

Every now and then you get behind someone paying at a store with a check and it is amazing how freaking slow it is. Even better when they decide to balance their checkbook right there. I bet it has been almost 20 years since I balanced a checkbook (so another thing youngins know nothing of?).

I do write checks on occasion still. Usually to avoid fees (or school district has stupid fees for online payment), or if a business or whatever still doesn't have an online payment system, which still happens. I haven't been to a bank in who knows how long with a check when I get them because of mobile deposits. That probably would make my dad's head explode.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

GET 12 LPs (cassettes, CDs) for just ONE PENNY!

That gimmick wouldn't work these days, because a simple swipe on your phone would turn down this month's featured album at full price.

wicked and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’m sure if a 20something saw no COD they would assume it banned a video game

Inky_Wretch and wicked like this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Not sure why but the mail order reminded me of the tag line at the end of Nightline and all talk shows: For a transcript of the show, send $XX to (address here). Who the fuck ever did that?

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It was comical trying to explain blowing on Nintendo cartridges to my 9-year-old son.

Driftwood and justgladtobehere like this.
  11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

This sounds like a Bluey episode.

dixiehack likes this.
  12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My mom (mid-80s) stopped doing any kind of online banking after seeing/hearing one too many online scam/hacking stories. I swear she keeps the post office in business, because she’s constantly going there to make stuff. She also talks about how nice they are to her at the bank, where she has to go to get cash (she has never used an ATM) or transfer money. I said it’s because she’s probably the only one who goes there regularly.

Draft saved Draft deleted