1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Turning over to AM radio to hear traffic on the 8s to see why I was in stop-and-go at 2 in the afternoon on the 91, then being pissed when I'd hear the Keyes on Van Nuys ad and know that I just missed the report.

HanSenSE and MileHigh like this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The last check I wrote was in July 2019 — my last child support payment. That was the last thing I did regularly with checks, because I wanted a paper record of it, and because I knew it annoyed my ex.

HanSenSE, Roscablo and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'd really have to think about it but pretty sure I haven't written a check this century.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Somehow the interstate travel guide books are still a thing, with the coupons you tore out to give to the desk clerk for a cheaper room (subject to availability).

IMG_4407.jpeg

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't care how hard all of you laugh ... vehicles with a third pedal – even if by total accident – have a built-in level of theft protection.

There have been stories of people trying to swipe them who cannot drive manuals. And I laugh at every one of them ... while telling them to get off my lawn.

Inky_Wretch, Driftwood and qtlaw like this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I write at least one every month for rent, but my landlord's Mom, who officially owns the house and managed the finances for the properties now managed by her son, just died in her late 80s and I wonder if her son will try and make pay fully digital. Maybe not, since as Wicked notes, it's easy enough to scan checks without venturing into a bank.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yep I call it the "millennial theft deterrent." (okay I ripped that off from someone I can't recall)

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar boat. I write one check per month for rent and hand deliver it to my landlord, who lives a few doors down. I moved two years ago and got new checks, and I've written less than 30 since -- 24 for rent and a couple to my service club and a housekeeper.

I had to address an envelope a few months back and have to admit, I had to pause and think for a second to remember the process. Stamp on the right, correct?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Still have a road atlas in our road trip car. When I am the passenger I love perusing the page on the state we're in.

I Should Coco and Tighthead like this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

qtlaw likes this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

My wife also wrote a couple birthday checks last week for the twin daughters of her best friend and we've written a handful of checks to my daughter's school for various small things, fundraisers, etc. But we've got a loooong way to go to use the entire six-book pack.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I still write checks for most of my bills. I even mail them.
    I just prefer it. I don't want to set up autodrafts, so this feels like it gives me more control over when I pay my bills. Makes me monitor my checking account a little more, too.

micropolitan guy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted