1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new exhibit joins the Titanic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There is so much synchronicity between the Titanic disaster and this event. Five more rich men in Davy Jones's locker.

The sad thing is, this submersible was so slap-dash constructed, the only clue to its demise might actually be a PS2 joystick.

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this rant immensely. Warning for language.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

There has actually been quite a bit of effort to improve the human-machine interface in lots of combat systems, and one way they do so is to employ game controller-like interfaces.

And one reason for doing that is they figure their young recruits are very familiar with them.

So, in my opinion, the game controller is very much being ballyhooed.

WHAT they should have though, especially since it’s likely to be a USB device, is a $5 fucking spare onboard.

gingerbread likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think it may say something grim about the national mood towards the billionaire class that it is so hard to find anyone actively rooting for a miracle rescue. Or maybe it’s just everyone assuming it’s a lost cause. But if I were part of the truly elite, I think I’d top off the security budget another 20 percent or so.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Part of it is that the much-ballyhoohed Stockton Rush appears to be the only American in peril. If there were no U.S. citizens on the vehicle, the country would yawn.

wicked likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Now we've got a true SJ classic thread.

gingerbread and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think it's that people are assuming it's a lost cause -- probably a safe assumption now, unfortunately. I have been hoping -- with the quiet, desperate feeling that I'm sure overcame those on the sub -- for a miracle rescue, of course. But I'm not optimistic. As Starman said:

And think -- all that while...suffocating to death...

It's truly awful to imagine people actually going through. What I've felt the past few days is the exact same sense of muted dread I had while following the drama of the Russian sub, Kursk, for a few days back in 2000. It has made me kind of ill, and I suspect I'm not the only one.

9. Vombatus

Happened at Pearl Harbor as well, in much shallower water.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect that we'll eventually find out that it was a catastrophic failure.

11. Vombatus

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have to say some have been clever, but there sure seem to be a lot of cartoons making light about . . . a tragic loss of lives.

Sea Bass and WriteThinking like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted