1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new exhibit joins the Titanic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I just watched an interview and found out the thing was made of carbon fiber instead of titanium like most similar subs.
    Also, it puzzled me why they didn't have systems where if they lost power, they could blow ballast and do an emergency non-powered ascent. They did. Multiple redundancies, apparently.
    Those two things would suggest to me that the hull cracked, and it was over as soon as it started.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Re: movie rights.

Depends on how it turns out, I suppose.

What if the sub is retrieved fours days from now, four people are dead, and one survives? The survivor knocked off the other four to extend his oxygen supply.

And they find a half-eaten arm?

Underwater Donner Party.

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

So, Mark Wahlberg, except it's different because he's there to prevent them from dying?

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly - being in that cramped space is horrifying enough - being stuck even worse - for 100 hours? How do you not panic? A Tibetian monk would be freaking out. And needless to say, I had enough eyeballs glare at me for 30 seconds when we needed a price check in my checking days. I can't imagine how horrible it is/was. You almost pray for an implosion so it was quick.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It was an implosion. Those people have been dead since Sunday. Ed Harris ain’t gonna save them.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m somewhat surprised L-pills weren’t quietly put on the vessel by the operators for a worst-case scenario.

The fact they weren’t kinda speaks to the hubris of OceanGate.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Markinson's gone. There is no Markinson.

Sea Bass and playthrough like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This is what I’m thinking as well.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking to a co-worker, it seems there’s a theory afoot in certain circles this was an assassination of one of the people on board. I asked if he’d seen any of the coverage of how slap-dash the sub was and he replied with something about not trusting the mainstream media.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Who’s around to sell the rights? Maybe Titan operator’s wife who also worked for the company. That’s it.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Whoo boy. And I thought posting Donner Party would be bad.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Lots of people outside the U.S. have made light of tragic events here, including some who made light of 9/11. I’m sure someone in WWII Japan did a dinner theater routine about Pearl Harbor. I won’t go down that road, but I understand that people will.

Draft saved Draft deleted