1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Dread? Nine-year old me found Stefano’s antics spellbinding.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nine-year-old me wanted some cartoons.

HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

When we first got HBO Max, my kids and I watched Looney Tunes for hours and hours on end while I waxed philosophical about how their uncles and I spent every Saturday morning watching these same cartoons and how it was the only day of the week we were allowed to eat sugary cereal.

They got into the routine for a few weeks, but it’s hard with so many competing entertainment options these days.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This right here is why I'm a little surprised a few here don't write checks still. I am down to probably a half dozen or so a year, but if it means saving a few hundred bucks I'll do it!

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) I hope you're correct ... though I also hope none of those who know how are boosting vehicles to pay their bills.
    2) No, it's not. But people who can drive manuals will gladly teach those who wish to learn how. I'll offer, especially if you wish to provide the sled (clutches and flywheels aren't cheap ... and I don't want any more wear on mine while you grind it until you find it). Need only a large parking lot and/or low-traffic back road for training along with someone with patience – I don't fit that bill at all – and a machine with a decent clutch and enough power not to shut down any time shifts aren't perfectly done ... until you can perfectly execute them.
    3) No, it's not. But it's not impossible to find good machines with a third pedal. If someone like me can do it, everyone else is capable of finding them.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

We do realize there are Millennials in their 40s now, right? I think there are those of us of a certain age who just automatically assume young when it comes to Millennials. Older Millennials definitely have been exposed to stick shifts.

dixiehack, wicked and Spartan Squad like this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Have we mentioned recording your favorite songs from the radio onto a blank cassette to make mix tapes yet?

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’ll be 40 in a couple months. Thanks for reminding me :p

2muchcoffeeman and Roscablo like this.
  9. Spartan Squad

And getting upset because the host talked over the intro

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I get the extra points (that I stupidly never cash in) on my airline credit card, so it’s a tossup. I kept forgetting to pay bills on time because I was a space cadet, so autopay was the best thing.

I only have one of those subscription-type services: for HVAC air filters, because otherwise I always forgot to get them. It’s possibly saving a ton of $$$ since our electric bill (and we have all electric) has fallen a fair bit.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I pay my gardener by check. One time we missed him. He texted my wife and asked if we could pay him via Venmo. Housecleaners get cash.

I go into the AAA office to pay for my Auto Club membership, vehicle registrations and car insurance. They add a fee for using a credit card, so I paid by check. I do it online sometimes, but for the registrations, I want to have the license stickers in hand and not wait for the mail .... especially since our mail is really messed up right now (thank you, Trumpidiot).

Most of my monthly bills I manually pay online. I don't like autopay. A couple are autopay because they offered a small discount.

12. Spartan Squad

I only write checks if we call someone to come to the house to fix something. After that, bills are online, but my wife is a hawk when it comes to our accounts so I trust it implicitly. Anything else is plastic. I’m very much in that millennial trend of not carrying cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted