1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new exhibit joins the Titanic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This compared to a marathon or sky diving or bungee jumping, this doesn’t really stack up. Yes everything has an assumed risk. I volunteered at a marathon where a guy died on the course. But those all have medical on site (or medical can be there in minutes) and have regulations to keep everyone safe. People are trained to handle contingencies and instances of death are very low.

Of course authorities are making an effort to rescue people. Others and I are cynical about who they prioritize but they make an effort for everyone (and no, they don’t ignore Black people). But this is akin to a guy driving through a flash flood. We all can see it’s a bad idea. It’s proven to be a bad idea. Rescuers need to pull out all the stops for a bad idea. And sometimes the bad idea costs a person his or her life. Feel bad for the families, but I’m not shedding a tear for the deceased. Especially not some rich person getting into a boat christened Bad Ideaz.

Oh and miss me with the “she saved up for years” to afford $250K. If I’m saving $250k (which would take me 10 years or more) it’s my retirement. I couldn’t afford to spend it on a illconceived adventure. They are living their lives, planning for retirement oh and have an extra grand or five to set aside for a Titanic voyage. F off.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Should've read the whole thread before making my previous post. Also a friend of mine.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think it's bizarre that people take comfort in this. I was on another board and someone was positing that it's easier for the family members to know that their loved ones died instantly.

I mean ... I guess? If my kid was on a sub and they either died by running out of air after five days, or, got crushed like a bug in an instant, I'm not sure there's a whole lot of comfort there one way or another.

And, while I don't dispute that the actual catastrophic failure did occur in an instant (because I'm an aquatic structural engineer and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night) that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't know a catatastrophic failure wouldn't occur before it happened.

Even if it was a few seconds of knowing, that would suck out loud.

And with that? My Debbie Downer duties are concluded.

Liut likes this.
  4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I loathe you. Take my like

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Also

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I suppose the crews need training for these sorts of rescues one way or the other so I imagine everyone got some reps in.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is where I'm coming down on it. I don't begrudge how people want to spend their money, and an adventurer's spirit is part of what makes the world great. But there are calculated risks and foolish risks. Jumping out of an airplane with a parachute you've checked three times is a calculated risk. Jumping out of the same plane with a bedsheet you think will break your fall is a foolish risk.
    There are obviously ways for a private individual to build relatively safe vehicles for traveling the ocean depths or even air and space. Richard Branson, James Cameron and Elon Musk have all shown that. In those environments, though, safe means expensive. By all accounts, Oceangate tried to do it cheaply and it created an unsafe situation. It turned a calculated risk into a foolish risk. Of course, the big question is if anyone on board other than the CEO knew which one they were taking.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

It probably helps that the Navy has more than a hundred Years of institutional experience making boats that go under water.

dixiehack, Batman and Driftwood like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What about orca warfare?

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That it took 20 pages for someone to post this shows we are slipping as a board.

Just waiting for some TV talking head to say "they died doing what they like best."

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Catastrophic implosion? Does anyone know if the sub got the jab?

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted