1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The biggest piece of advise that I could give the younger generation is to learn about retirement options and strategies in your 20's. Find a financial advisor and make a plan. It doesn't matter if you don't have much money to start with. Stick with your plan but reevaluate after every major life event. It doesn't matter if you don't have much to start with. Just stick with it.

I met my financial advisor when I was 27. First goal was to save enough for a house. Mission accomplished.

As I grew older, goals changed but I am now in a position where I can retire in a couple of years if I want.

I work with someone who is coming up on a retirement age and she is just now looking into things. She got a rude awakening because she failed to do some basic things over the last decade that would have helped her immensely. She has no options other than to continue working another 2-3 years to make up for it.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My regrets:

---Starting to save at age 28 instead of age 22.
    ---Spending too many years contributing 4-6% into the 401(k) instead of 15% (which eventually became 19%).
    ---Waiting too long to start taking advantage of Tribune Company's 15% discount stock purchase plan and missing out on several years of growth and two stock splits.

I could have taken a Titanic expedition with the money I probably left on the table. :(

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Sunk cost fallacy.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Say what you will about the royal treatment Biden showed to the India P.M. today, but it was announced that India’s tariffs on U.S. apples and other crops were lifted.

That’s a huge economic boost in my neck of the woods.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I’m wondering if a much larger part of that conversation was India’s laundering of sanctioned Russian diamonds.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Federal Reserve Board announces it will make available additional funding to eligible depository institutions to help assure banks have the ability to meet the needs of all their depositors

March 12, 2023
    With approval of the Treasury Secretary, the Department of the Treasury will make available up to $25 billion from the Exchange Stabilization Fund as a backstop for the BTFP. The Federal Reserve does not anticipate that it will be necessary to draw on these backstop funds.

June 22, 2023

They are just getting started.

This is what they do. ... they announce these radical interventions in our debt markets to stem a crisis they caused in the first place. In 2008 they got pushback. Now, they can do whatever the fuck the want. They minimize it on announcement. It's temporary. In thise case, they really minimized it, because they can't exactly tell people that thousands of banks are insolvent due to interest rate risk that the Fed itself caused. There would be runs on banks. They give it benevolent names like Troubled Asset Relief Program, or in this case, Bank Term Funding Program.

Once they start. ... they just normalize the immoral thing they slipped in there while a brain-dead public doesn't object. ... and they never stop. In this case. ... they are lending money that they are allowed to create out of thin air by fiat to their hand-picked cronies, taking collateral in return that isn't worth anything near the value of the loans they are being given to stave off their failures. We're all on the hook for the immediate losses; because they can inflate away their corruption we will be taxed by devaluation of the dollars we earn and have to use by law in this country.

The facility they introduced is supposed to be for only a year. ... it would be a lifeline for banks to get themselves right. There are only 9 months left now. The problem is that there are 15 years of distortions -- trillions of dollars of really toxic debt -- that require price-fixed zero interest rates to avoid credit defaults, bank failures and economic pain. Banks are not magically getting out of the fact that they were pushed by the Fed to borrow long and lend short because of the safe yield their businesses rely on being robbed of them by Fed "policy." As long as rates stay 500 basis points north of zero (because they felt forced to pretend they are dealing with the inflation they caused). ... they are just propping up failure with the huge balance sheet, which this facility just ADDS TO. It comes at huge costs to all of us that 98 percent don't seem to understand. In 9 months. ... this "no big deal, small lending facility that is growing, will be extended. Just like quantitative easing was going to be relatively small and very temporary. We are $8+ trillion and 15 years into it. The only way it doesn't get extended is if they completely reverse their monetary "policy" and drop the overnight rate way back down, which won't be surprising either. They'll choose runaway inflation over being responsible. They have only one function: to monetize more and more debt (and make the eventual reckoning even worse) to try to put off the consequences of all of their prior debt monetization, then pretend like they are ending the party, only for things to start to break, at which point they act like they had nothing to do with any of it, and step back in to deal with the debt crisis they caused. ... the only way they know how. We are all paying a huge price for it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Any chance the Fed is just trying to get through the first week of November, 2024 without the wheels falling off the economy?

9. The Big Ragu

Of course.

Unfortunately, they aren't the ones driving that car. Sticky consumer price inflation (that they caused) threw a monkey into their wrench.

So the Fed has been stuck trying to look like they are on the case. ... while selling the bullshit that actually doing what needs to be done won't cause a credit event and the loud popping noise that is going to proceed something bad. The whole time they have been half-assing it, the bond market -- which is what really leads them around by their noses -- is saying, "We know you are full of shit, we're not buying that you're serious," and it is fighting them. It's kind of absurd to me, because the mantra is, "Don't fight the Fed." But what that really means is "don't fight the Fed when they are blowing a bubble. Jump in and ride the momentum. But when they are withdrawing liquidity, do fight them. Because they are going to panic and reverse course."

Any number of things can go wrong creating a serious economic event preventing them from getting to the election with just the inadequate tightening they have done. Don't forget, Bear Stearns and Lehman and the great financial crisis happened right before the 2008 election, with them trying to do what you are saying. This time around, they really have backed themselves into a corner. If they back off this time before they cause a serious credit event, the crippling inflation tax they have hit the poorest people with to create their artificiality is what is going to influence the election.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What does a credit event look like? Business real estate going under, people not buying houses, nobody buying cars?

11. The Big Ragu

Loan defaults, banks with portfolios that are underwater shutting their doors, bankruptcies.

Much worse, though. ... because they use a fractional reserve banking system to execute their manipulation, it creates leverage throughout the economy. Banks get a dollar injected into their reserves by the Fed, they turn around and loan out several dollars. It funds a massive shadow banking system that pushes the envelope. At some point we will learn about more batshit things that have been happening under the surface. Leveraged plays that will go bad. There are undoubtedly leveraged loan schemes out there -- just like in 2008 -- that are going to have the potential to do a lot of damage.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I want to read Ragu’s book on this in 10 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted