1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new exhibit joins the Titanic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, the truth is, you don't ever need anybody to tell, or explain, anything to you.

Right?

Some people like to read because they don't know everything, or, they're just interested. That's who it's for.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

They knew something could go wrong. They just hoped -- enough to believe -- that nothing would. They thought there was a good chance they'd beat the odds.

Just like any daredevil on a tight-rope, any astronaut, any trapeze artist, any mountain climber, any sailor, or any ordinary citizen who travels by airplane, etc.

It has nothing to do with them being rich, or feeling entitled.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

There wasn't even a window on that tin can. Everything would be viewed on a tiny monitor in a cramped tube.

Hard to understand the value there. They could watch better stuff at home, on YouTube, on solid ground. With brisket and tacos, too.

OscarMadison and Liut like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

From what I've read, that would have been the kid's preference.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So:

1. Definitely on the hook in a civil case
    2. Company could be on the hook in a criminal case

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’d sky jump and bungee jump and have cliff jumped, but if I’m in a submersible, it better be with Ballard or Cameron, not some rinky dink outfit.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know.

One of the conditions of wealth is the assumption your money protects you.

Even in these canned "adventuring" examples - the deep sea dive; the climb up Everest, etc. - the rich often find out the hard way it does not.

misterbc likes this.
  9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Just like it's hard to prosecute a dead man, it's hard to prosecute a defunct company.

OceanGate will not be around much longer.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Let's be honest though - people of all social classes make stupid decisions when it comes to risk, check the Florida Man thread. But I do think that we wonder why someone with so much money would put their life at risk? Maybe to feel a possibility of risk, period. You grow up in wealth, you have a safety net, people can get you out of legal trouble, your name alone probably shields you - and you end up being numb. Putting yourself in a situation where your name and money can't get you out of a jam, only your skill or luck? That must have some appeal.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watergate, Heaven's Gate (the movie and the cult), OceanGate - they never end well.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Where is Stockton Rush seeded for the fast pitch travel ball World Series in Modesto?

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted