1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I haven't used a check in a year since I found out I could pay my rent online. I run some payments through a credit card to boost my credit score. The problem I find is I loose track of my subscriptions. I've seen ads for an app for that.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

We have one payment a month that isn't auto deducted. The payment for medical insurance that goes to UAB retirement is required to be a bank check, cashier's check, or money order. To add to my rectal pain, we've used a credit union for thirty plus years that only has a few branches in town. So once a month I drive downtown and get the check cut, drop it off a couple of blocks from where I get it, and go home.

There is no provision for any form of electronic payment. Luddites.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My mom's life insurance company has no provisions for online payments... unless you use a Western Union site that charges a $7.95 transaction fee. I hope they're smart enough to demand some kickbacks for those transactions.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Personal Venmo = ….embezzlement……

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Mine tuned me out (get it? tuned? tip your waiters!) after about six seconds of waxing poetic about watching Woody Woodpecker every weekday morning at 8 b/c that's all that was on.

wicked and Baron Scicluna like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I still like getting paper statements and going through them once a month, and ordered some new checks when I moved. Chase charged me $25 without even blinking and I didn't even get a vinyl checkbook - just a paper board thing. Weak. Free checks of course from the credit union.
    For the financial giant they are - Chase operates like Spirit Airlines for its rank and file customers.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I did that on occasion at newspapers with long stories with the intent of ensuring the reader saw as many pages as possible.

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo and MTM like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Still have a Thomas Bros map for the entire NW. But I can't help but think back to the beauty pageant where there was a question about kids not being able to find countries on a map. This was in 2007 - the internet was far enough along at that point. Right?

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Two neighborhood kids were talking. One says, "I found a condom on that patio."
    The other kid says, "What's a patio?"

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Test patterns. The Kansas City A's, Milwaukee Braves, Houston Oilers, Cincinnati Royals, Buffalo Braves. Headlight dimmer button, typewriters, rotary phones, Princess phones, any wall phone, phone booths, Trash 80s, smoking on an airplane or anywhere in public really, registering for college classes in a huge gym, getting up early and waiting in line to get first dibs on a dorm room.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sticking with college, do they still make kids write their essay finals in those blue books? I’m guessing the essay exams are taken online, especially since COVID.

My thumb aches as I recall scribbling furiously in those damn blue books.

wicked and Batman like this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have heard that because of AI, some schools are going back to blue books. I remember filling up a couple of them on history finals of one or two essay questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted