1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 3, 2023.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In 2006 Jonah Nickerson of Oregon State threw 100 pitches and went 6.2 innings on three days rest against UNC in Game 3. This was after going 7.2 innings against Rice on two days rest to get OSU into the finals.

So it can be done, just not recommended. Skenes is projected to go much higher in the draft than Nickerson (7th round).

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Saw a couple of things where Skenes is projected No. 1 in the draft.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1 or 2, depending on whether his teammate goes No. 1.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I'm obviously biased in tonight's matchup, but if LSU pitches Skenes at all, it's tantamount to abuse. See Wood, Kerry; Prior, Mark; Strasburg, Steven and many others. The CWS is important, but not more important that his livelihood. And yes, if he was a Gator, I would say the exact same thing.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I could see an inning of relief in a high leverage spot, maybe two if pitch count stays low. Anything more and I agree with Matt.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I know we bitch about the NBA and NHL unnecessarily dragging each of their playoff their series over three weekends, but something's amiss if the CWS schedule is so packed that a team can't have its healthy ace available to start one of three finals games.

tapintoamerica and DanOregon like this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Wasn't Ben McDonald ridden pretty hard in his last year? I think it was the first time I read about college coaches abusing pitchers.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree - but if a starter goes twice in to get to the final - well, you get what you get. Still no problem with a two day break between the opening round and the final. More jello shots! Heck, do an ersatz "all-star game weekend" with a game featuring the best of the also-rans and a home run derby.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They used to have a home run derby during the CWS, but it appears it went away because of COVID in 2020 and never came back.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So was Todd Van Poppel.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

If LSU had beaten Wake Forest in the first two matchups, they would have had Skenes. But they had to use him to get out of the loser's bracket.

And a lot of good it did Florida to have their aces rested. Two of their worst outings of the year the last two nights.

I don't think it would be as big of a deal if we weren't talking an MLB-ready pitcher for LSU. Those are very few and very far between at this stage of the CWS.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted