1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Looking through the NCAA record book reminds you that once upon a time, there was such a thing as Cal State Fullerton. Also (if briefly) Rice. And not long ago, Coastal Carolina. Power 5 football tv money is death to the have-nots.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Power 5 is a meaningless term in college baseball. In a given year, the Big 10 champ might finish fifth in the Sun Belt.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Coastal Carolina hasn't been back to Omaha, but they have hosted a few regionals since then (including this year). There are some other mid-majors that are quite respectable on a regular basis as well, like Southern Miss, Dallas Baptist and East Carolina.
    I think the transfer portal and NIL have hurt them as much as Power 5 football TV money. The guy who started Game 2 of the finals for Florida was at Southern Miss last year. If he's on that roster this year, they're probably playing in the CWS and winning at least a game or two.

Liut and tapintoamerica like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Still curious how LSU got a transfer from Air Force.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Could have sworn we just had Oral Roberts in Omaha as a No. 4 regional seed. And Wake Forest may be in the ACC, but it was back for the first time since the 50s and barely has more students than Jell-O shots. There were fresh stories for the taking if you bothered to look.

Batman likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He left after two years. If you leave after you start your third year, you have to pay them back, but you can leave scott-free in the first two. He also visited Microville Tech last summer, but hearing he got $200K at LSU which obviously sealed the deal.

Not sure how many bail out at the AFA (I see what I did). West Point and Annapolis consider it a country club.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

I wish to revise and extend my remarks. You are correct. “Death” is not yet the case for all have-nots. Oral Roberts was a stupid omission on my part.
    My revision is that I don’t think you’ll see another Fullerton — a baseball-first athletics program that makes it to Omaha multiple times in a five- or six-year span. Maybe they were the giant unicorn in this thing anyway.

dixiehack likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

Also joining Fullerton and Spinal Tap in the Where Are They Now? File: Wichita State.

11. tapintoamerica

If you leave after 2 years, do you owe the Pentagon the amount of money your education would have cost?

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm interested to know this as well - UVA had a weekend starter this year who spent two years at West Point, and I know for a fact his family would not be on board with paying that money back. Maybe he got some NIL that covered that cost.

Draft saved Draft deleted