1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Gotta love the inability to make up one's mind.

If Americans do nothing, they get hammered for being too sedentary. Now Americans are picking up pickleball and people want to complain about that, too.

dixiehack likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I always find those kinds of stories absurd. You can do endless "analyses" like it. ... that are beyond meaningless. Grocery shopping costs people hundreds of millions of dollars of a year. So does driving to work. As does high school sports. Even getting out of bed in the morning is costly. Watching TV, too.

The only difference is that pickleball is a relatively new phenomenon. If you want to take that kind of masturbatory analysis to the extreme, though. ... think about it, people have a finite amount of time. There are 24 hours in a day. If more people play pickleball today, it means that those people have made a choice to not do something else that they used to do with that time. Now add up those activities that have been replaced, and we really need to know how much were those things "costing" Americans. Is it even possible that the net effect is that pickleball is actually costing Americans less money?

BTW. ... none of that is really all that quantifiable. You need to make so many guesses and assumptions that it's relatively meaningless in terms of informing people about how they should actually behave.

Batman likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just saw this, one of this guy's videos. ...

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It just boils down to humanity's skill to b_tch about something, about everything.

When we drink soda, we're told to drink water. When we drink water, some idiot cranks out a study telling us that water is bad for us.

And when all is said and done, Ragu's word - meaningless - is the one that comes to mind.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Pigs get fed; hogs get slaughtered. And AirBNB has been a hog for a minute now.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ain't nobody going to Dollywood no mo?

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wonder how much of that is cities passing new laws to restrict those kinds of short-term rentals? I know several of them have.

wicked and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Who was buying up property to market to tourists in fucking Salisbury, Maryland?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That’s revenue per listing that is being mentioned.

AirBNB used to be the go to for our extended family vacations, especially now that we’ve ballooned to a party of 12. But prices have gotten so outrageous that it was cheaper for us to do three suites at the Doubletree for next week than a rental house. I’ve started noticing similar economics on solo trips.

Plus so many houses have been bought up by investors for use as AirBNB properties that it is constricting the residential markets, both owners and rentals. In Nashville especially that’s been a huge issue.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

While being mindful of potential effects on the economy, hopefully this trend can take the edge off some of the hotter housing markets and get folks some relief. (In reality, Blackrock will wind up buying up inventory at discount rates.)

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I knew that was part of it. New Orleans and Key West were two big tourist cities, IIRC, where they were trying to pass laws because of that. Too many properties were being turned into short-term rentals and no one was actually living there. It was causing problems both with the local economy and the quality of life.

It's a slightly different scale — we're hardly a tourist mecca — but I see something similar happening in our neighborhood as well. Our subdivision has probably 50 or 60 houses that are mostly two-bedroom starter homes. Every time one is sold, it's gobbled up by a rental company. The houses are rented for six months or a year, then they go vacant for a few months, then someone else moves in for six months, etc. We've had people move in next door to us that I never even realized lived there until I saw them moving back out.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted