1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

And don’t forget to cut birthday cakes.

wicked likes this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What it’s like for your parents to have no contact with you for weeks in end (when I was at college or on vacation when I started working)

2muchcoffeeman and dixiehack like this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Standing up on the floorboard behind the front seats while riding in the family car.

Also, the front seats were on a bench seat, and are they still available on any of today's cars?

Way back then our cars had no headrests, either, so we kids would be standing up in the back, three or four across, with our arms folded on top of the bench seat as we leaned forward to jabber at our parents and see where we were going.

Until Dad told us to shut up and sit down.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Having to watch the 7 p.m. (I’m that old) SportsCenter if you were a fan of an out-of-market team, hoping they’d give at least two sentences about the game from last night.

Baseball Tonight was the first of those constantly updating scoreboard shows during the games. Prime Time came on after almost everything was over.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Saw this on Facebook. I drove a "four on the floor" but never a "three on the tree."

[​IMG]

misterbc, Slacker and swingline like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Glad I’m a youth who never knew this one.
    IMG_4425.jpeg

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What? You didn't like having to run to Walgreen's to pick up the negatives and then have to use this?

[​IMG]

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

How about when your parents put blankets down in the back of the station wagon so the kids (that's us) could sleep as they drove through thre night on the way to visit the grandparents in New York. And if they hit the brake or took a sharp turn, you'd slide from one side of the car to the other.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They would also put the blankets down and put us in our pajamas to take us to the drive-in movie, figuring we'd be asleep for the ride home -- and probably before the end of the movie, too.

FileNotFound and HanSenSE like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This one came up in my Facebook memories this week. I went to eat at a pizza place a couple of years ago where the credit card reader was down. I had to talk the 20-something cashier through the process of using the imprint machine, which had the logo of a bank that was bought out in 2005.

Hermes likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m only 38 but learned to drive stick on a “three on the tree” of a 1957 Chevy. The no power steering thing threw me more than learning use a clutch.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Or the third seat in the station wagon that faced backward.

We had a Dodge Polaris wagon that had a 2–3-foot space between the second and third seats. It was great for sleeping.

Draft saved Draft deleted