1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ad revenue based on views and hits, amirite? So limit views and hits. What could possibly happen?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m sure there are white South Africans from the 20th century who don’t have completely cringeworthy racial views. I just don’t think I’ve ever heard from one.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You’d almost think the guy was born in apartheid-era South Africa.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

genuine question: has anyone here ever closed their Twitter account, regretted it for whatever reason, and then gone back? Like, I’ve regretted shuttering my Facebook account at times because I’ve genuinely missed personal news (deaths, birthdays, layoffs) about people I care about. What the hell are ya gonna miss by shuttering your Twitter account? Knowing something about strangers that — if it it’s truly news — you can read about in the paper tomorrow or on the evening news?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dave Matthews.

6. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I don’t have Facebook. Tried it years ago, really the beginning when they said no longer needed college email. I lasted a week when something on my feed or whatever said “wheels down SFO”. I do not need to see, nor do I care when an acquaintance landed. It struck me as show off. Done. But to actually be done was bit harder. So much semantics. I imagine many people think they unsubscribed, but just went on hold.

However, I’m on instagram under a dog’s name and email so I imagine I’m still followed.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

For me, Twitter was all about breaking news. Both because of my job and because I’m a news/politics junkie. At its best, I had many reputable outlets offering news and analysis all in one spot.

Never cared about personal stuff. That was the Facebook role for me.

But Twitter is pretty much useless for to my needs now. Which will make pretty ease to keep phasing out.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The whole situation translates as Google telling Elon, “Fuck you, pay me!”

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Borat voice….
    My wiiiiiife. Is fairly un cringeworthy

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I usually don't buy unsubstantiated things until there is better reason to believe than someone saying them on social media.

But without verification. ... this really smacks of. ... believable.

The Google stuff is true. He had stopped paying Google for cloud computing services and had $42 million in unpaid invoices, and had sent an internal e-mail (detailed in that NY Times article about Linda Yacarino) saying that he was trying to stop using Google's products by the end of June. I feel like a dolt for actually not putting it together when I heard about the view limits. There is always a transparent true reason or his own making (with him giving some unbelievable BS rationale) for the stupid things he does.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Twitter might be my main source of real information. I almost only follow news orgs or reporters. Also meteorologists. It's the best source of up to date, and real not TV, weather info.

It also is still a decent tool, although not as much anymore for local info. Especially in an area with almost no local news presence. Search the town name if something comes up and generally you can find something on it. But as less people use it and more restrictions happen that is going away.

I never posted personal things. It definitely became a cesspool and even on legit news you couldn't look at the comments for all the bots and trolls and worse.

Twitter is still a first go for me when interwebs searching for much of the above. That said it looks like it is definitely eating itself. There is always something to replace these things. There will be something that takes the place of the good Twitter provided.

Draft saved Draft deleted