1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

No, I will not read your “All-Star Game snubs” story. It’s not my fault you have no better ideas to write about.

Batman, 2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

And the majority of the "snubs" are just guys having good seasons who could have made the game but don't weaken it by not being there. Other than Merrifield, who I believe was voted by players, and lone Tiger Lorenzen, I haven't seen anyone who shouldn't be there to let these guys in.

Hermes likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Can we just fast forward to the World Series?
    /BravesFan

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Brent Rooker? Maybe it's the lack of name recognition for me, but ...

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

You're right, I should have included him. Probably not even the most qualified of the sad sack A's. Noda and Ruiz were the names being floated (and neither of them belongs, either).

jr/shotglass likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Angels are pissed closer Carlos Estevez (not Charlie Sheen) is not in. He is 21-0 in save situations, other numbers are better than Emmanuel Clase. The Clevelands have another rep in Jose Ramirez. Guessing Estevez will eventually be added. And, I don't really care.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's probably only there because the A's have to have somebody, but he was voted in by the players so somebody thinks he's decent.
    He's batting about .240, but is leading the A's in home runs (14) and RBIs (42) and had a great April.
    Good story, too. Former first round pick got to the majors at the end of 2020, then got traded twice and released at the end of last season. He's on his fourth team in four years and has already played almost as many major league games this year as he did the past three years combined. Won a roster spot in spring training and has been doing well (or as well as an Oakland player can be these days) this season.

maumann likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When folks like Rooker and Trout (hitting .270) are All-Stars, I 've always discounted it when someone says "they're a X-time All-Star."

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Has to be the only first-round draftee who has been with four teams within three years of draft day, right?

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

What year did they start requiring each team to have a representative? I can’t remember and can’t seem to find it with a cursory search.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He was drafted in 2017, and made it to the majors in 2020.
    Not sure if he's the first 4-for-4 guy or not. I'm sure there have been other first-round washouts, but most don't get the chance to bounce around like that. They either show enough potential that they stick around with somebody for a year or two, get released, or languish in the minors.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's been that way forever, or at least as long as I can remember (so at least since the 80s, and likely well before that).

2muchcoffeeman and jr/shotglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted