1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Mike Trout exits with a left hand injury suffered while swinging a bat, proving yet again no franchise made a bigger deal with the devil to win its only title than the 2002 Angels.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Baiting avg? Be better.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

We were told y some posters here that it would ruin the Orioles by selling last year and trading Trey Mancini.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Because that's an apt comparison -- Willie Mays' final season to Mike Trout as a top 10 player in his league so far in 2023.

JC likes this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I apologize to Trout, and you folks who follow more closely than me, I did not realize Trout (who I have long admired) was top 10 in WAR this year. He is/was an all-star this year. Still think it’s not the best indicator of greatness when they have to pick someone from A’s and fans pick most popular guys regardless of level of play.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think in the past, the fan vote was an issue. I think with the way they have worked on the system that had gone technologically out of control with ballot stuffing, the fans picks are almost always in line with guys who deserve to start. There might be one spot out of the 18 that is a little wonky but for the most part it is either the right choice or the second best choice, who would be an All-Star anyway.

I'm not a fan of having every team represented if they don't have an actual All-Star. But in the long run it's not going to make a difference. We have guys from the 50s and 60s that have double All-Star appearances on their records. And if Miggy Cabrera gets to say he's a 12 timer instead of 11 because of his selection last year, then I'll direct you to his 2008 and 2009 seasons when he didn't make the All-Star team -- one a season when he led the AL in home runs and a second when he was fourth in the MVP voting. Guys like that, or Trout in seven years, end up evening out.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

31 year old Mike Trout and 40 year old Willie Mays totally the same.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Songbird

If Trout finishes 20th or worse in MVP voting I'll tip my hat to your amaysing comps.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Baseball, 1970

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Look at this point it’s just piling on…I’m down and didn’t make the first down. ;)

12. Songbird

I QF'd you before reading any of the others. I'm not a piler.

Now, that thing Az did ... lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted