1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers on changes in Los Angeles Times sports section going into effect Monday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 4, 2023.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Not surprised they're killing print.

He really hates them. Damn. I thought I hated the fuckers who repeatedly stabbed and eventually killed our paper(s). I guess he and I have at least one thing in common.

Doesn't like this guy, either: https://tjpage2.blog/2023/05/25/1663/

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Gone are the days of opening the morning newspaper, reading about the games the night before, checking out the box scores and being told what else is new in sports. What happens Monday night in Dodger Stadium will not be told in the newspaper until Wednesday, if at all."

Those days ended 25 years ago.

I mean, I get it on a basic level. I grew up reading the LA Times and it saddens me when I visit my folks and see what it is now.

But Simers comes across as a guy who just wasn't looking as the world passed him by.

(Side note, after reading two of his blog posts: I hope Simers treated his copy editors well, because they had some heavy lifting to do.)

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Mark Blaudschun put it well a long time ago.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of Iliana Limon since she was a middling UCF beat person in Orlando.

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What did he say or write?

7. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

There was a story on the cover of Tuesday's section on the Dodgers news of the day -- Clayton Kershaw placed on the injured list. It looks like that would have only been on the website if it happened next week.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I may be six years removed from it, but just reading that sent a chill up my spine again.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I subscribe to the LA Times e edition (it's a PDF). I was trying to read about an Angels game this week, and, well, there was nothing about the Angels game in the story.
    I thought I was having a fever dream.

Edit:
    This is the story that appeared. The score and nothing else.

Estévez playing like an All-Star
    Right-hander is a perfect 20 for 20 on save tries as he seeks a spot on the AL roster. CHI. WHITE SOX 11 ANGELS 5
    SHOHEI OHTANI went three for five in a home loss to the White Sox. (Ashley Landis Associated Press)
    By Sarah Valenzuela
    Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout have become synonymous with the term All-Star. They’re not the only Angels players deserving this season.
    Closer Carlos Estévez, over 34 appearances (33 innings), has pitched to a 1.91 ERA, with seven earned runs, eight runs, 26 hits, 16 walks and 41 strikeouts. He has an opponent batting average of .215.
    Entering Wednesday, Estévez, who has a 2-1 record and two holds, has also been perfect in saves, going 20 for 20 on his opportunities this season.
    “I think I should be, at least, thought about, if not talked about,” Estévez said before Wednesday’s 11-5 loss to the Chicago White Sox at Angel Stadium. “Hopefully.”
    Aside from setting a team record for consecutive saves when he converted save No. 20 on Tuesday against the White Sox, he is also the only reliever in the American League who is perfect with a minimum 20 saves and 30 innings pitched.
    Alexis Diaz, who pitches for the Cincinnati Reds in the National League, has converted all 22 of his save opportunities over 35 games (34 innings) and is the only other closer perfect with 20 or more saves.
    As strong of a candidate as Estévez is, his path to potential All-Star isn’t like Ohtani’s and Trout’s. While starting position players get voted in by fan ballots, all pitchers and reserve players are selected through a combination of player ballots and the commissioner’s office.
    The rule of representation at the All-Star Game also requires MLB to make sure every team is represented by at least one player. If another team’s best/most worthy player is a reliever, that might preclude Estévez from being selected. Not every player named an All-Star elects to or is able to participate, so Estévez’s other chance might be a selection as a replacement.
    As far as the competition among other closers in the AL with more saves than Estévez this season:
    Cleveland’s Emmanuel Clase is 24 for 29 with a 2.35 ERA, .215 opponent batting average and 35 strikeouts over 38 1/3 innings; Toronto’s Jordan Romano is 23 for 26 in saves with a 2.76 ERA, .224 average and 40 strikeouts over 32 2/3 innings; Baltimore’s Felix Bautista is 21 for 26 in saves with a 1.19 ERA, .150 average and 76 strikeouts over 37 2/3 innings.
    Of those three, Clase and Romano were All-Stars last year.
    After Estévez, the next three closers with the most saves are:
    Boston’s Kenley Jansen, 16 for 19, 3.08 ERA, .225 average, 31 strikeouts over 26 1/3 innings; Houston’s Ryan Pressly, 15 for 18 in saves, 2.88 ERA, .200 average, 37 strikeouts over 34 1/3 innings; and Seattle’s Paul Sewald, 14 for 17 in saves, 2.84 ERA, .180 average, 42 strikeouts over 31 2/3 innings.
    The full All-Star rosters will be revealed Sunday.
    Angels manager Phil Nevin said last week even though he was not familiar with where Estévez stacked up, that his closer was certainly deserving of All-Star consideration.
    “I mean, the best closers in the game, they’re rarely 19 for 19 in saves,” Nevin said after Estévez secured his 19th save, “and I know he had a little bit of a hiccup there in Texas. For me, that was just from overuse.
    “I can’t see him not being [in the All-Star Game],” Nevin continued. “I don’t know there’s anybody that’s perfect in saves so far, knock on wood. ... I don‘t know how it goes, but I’d be shocked if he wasn’t in that conversation.”
    The one hiccup that Estévez had, on June 15 in Texas, was not during a save opportunity.
    Estévez was pitching for the seventh time in 12 games and for the third time in the four-game series in Texas.
    For the first time in a long time, he felt tired. He has had additional days of rest since then, getting saves Nos. 19 and 20 along the way.
    Estévez, though, said he hoped to be an All-Star, liked his chances given his numbers and wouldn’t necessarily feel snubbed if it didn’t happen this year.
    “Honestly, I never expect to be that high up like, ‘Oh, I’m gonna go to the All-Star game,’ ” he said. “I have a motto, don’t ever expect way too much out of anyone so you don’t get disappointed if it doesn’t happen.
    “So, I’m kind of like right there. With the number that I have put up and how the team is going, I think it’ll be really good to be an All-Star.”
    Estévez has played an important role in the Angels’ season (44-37 entering Wednesday). The right-hander is in the middle of what is shaping up to be a career year.
    Last season with the Colorado Rockies was his previous best as far as ERA.
    Estévez was not the Rockies’ closer, but he finished the season with a 3.47 ERA, a 4-4 record, 13 holds and was two for six in save opportunities.
    Players from around the league have reached out to Estévez to congratulate him on all his success so far this season.
    “Just like, ‘Man, amazing to see how you’re doing,’ ‘Good for you,’ ” Estévez recalled of some of the recent messages. “Yency Almonte from the Dodgers was like, ‘I’m proud of you, keep it up.’
    “Even guys from the Rockies, guys that I haven’t played with, but I’ve talked to them. And that’s a good feeling.”

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's a kind of common thing. Find a usable feature and plug a score (or other information) in it --- if you can.

Just the other day my place ran a feature on the Braves' power show in June that had moved a day earlier. I could have sent the page early but chose not to because I knew they were playing that night. Turns out they hit 6 more homers against the Marlins that night --- which was the last day of June. So I updated the numbers and tweaked a couple of paragraphs to make everything up to date. Instead of the Braves "being on the verge" of breaking the franchise home run record for June," it was changed to "shattered the franchise home run record for June."

Was never intended to be a "game story" from that 16-4 Atlanta victory.

Liut likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's print's answer to local TV news shows dropping the sports segment because "real sports fans have already seen the highlights on SportsCenter."

Draft saved Draft deleted