1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers on changes in Los Angeles Times sports section going into effect Monday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 4, 2023.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Agreed. If you’re going to bash a newspaper for its substandard journalism, you must avoid run-on sentences.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I certainly understand the drive and desire to present the news where readers younger than 70 are.

Unfortunately, our industry still hasn’t figured out to reach those folks with advertising on websites, Facebook, etc.

As I and others have said many times, newspapers would dump the print edition in a heartbeat if it penciled out financially, because it’s such a labor intensive, expensive and time consuming process.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In the battle between TJ Simers and the LA Times, the winner is nobody.

4. tapintoamerica

As Letterman once put it:
    If Gary Coleman and Ricky Schroeder were to have a battle to the death with pool cues, who would win?
    A) Gary Coleman
    B) Ricky Schroeder
    C) The television-viewing public

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

we called them 'featurized gamers' at one shoppe.

The game itself would get wedged in and nut graf adjusted as needed.

T.J. Simers is 72 years old, by the way, and every length of it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Simers illustrates exactly why newspapers struggled to catch up to the times. In 2023, absolutely no one should be waking up the next morning looking for a gamer.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

8. tapintoamerica

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Major dailies like the DMN and FWST have been doing this for years now. Writing basically pre-written columns/features and inserting the final score of the game as just a chef's kiss.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The opposite of the Dave Kindred sunset.

Liut and playthrough like this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mitch Albom has entered the chat.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Plaschke is a favorite target. Simers ripped him a new one a week or two ago after Plaschke wrote another "the Astros stole a World Series from the Dodgers" column.

That said, I do enjoy a good curmudgeon like Simers. And every now and then he'd write a column about some kids at the children's hospital who would like never go home that had me reaching for a blankie.

Draft saved Draft deleted