1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

High Desert is a fun, quirky detective show along the lines of all-time great Terriers, and like that show it too has been cancelled, leaving the mystery unsolved.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think “I wear suits now” over the past 3 days is starting to rival “Cousin!” and “heard” in my vocabulary.

JimmyHoward33 and Spartan Squad like this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn I don’t think I’ve been as emotionally invested in as many characters in a show as the Bear. The stories that were developed for each character were so well done. Even Natalie’s husband at the end, wow!!

Deskgrunt50 and Spartan Squad like this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We're getting closer to spoilers on The Bear than I'm comfortable with. I'm just past S02E03.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The Bear killed Bodie.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just finished Black Mirror too. They never go over 6 episodes and season 5 only went 3. Leave them wanting more I guess.

It was interesting how this season went away from technology based horror to straight horror. Joan is Awful and Beyond The Sea were traditional Black Mirror but the other three went to more traditional horror: Demon, monster and suspense.

You thought the last one (Demon 79) was the weakest. I personally thought Mazey Day was the worst of the five. Joan was the best and Loch Henry was next. Demon was a little weird and very Shyamalan but it paced nicely and the ending fit
    It was very much Cabin in the Woods but it fit
    . The actress playing Nida has the scary weird vibe down (she was also a similar character in Killing Eve). And now I have Rasputin stuck in my head.

qtlaw likes this.
  7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It came out like first week of March 2020, nice timing, so I missed it originally but just binged Devs on Hulu. Really, really liked it even though weirdo sci-fi usually wouldn't be my thing.

Speaking of weirdos, had avoided the Bill Walton 30 for 30 -- four parts! -- because didn't think I could take that much Bill but I thought it was outstanding. When you see the sheer volume of injuries he suffered and the toll it took on him it really is startling. Also has some fantastic interviews with old teammates and his kids and wife. And certainly has a large amount of Bill being Bill so be warned. Though there's an incredible and emotional back and forth when the director says Bill had it pretty good getting paid by the Clippers and not having to play. The biggest shock to me was Robert Parish being an absolutely delightful storyteller.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Seconded on the Bill Walton documentary. Really good. I was floored by the Kemper Open stuff.

Small Town Guy likes this.
  9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That was amazing. Reminded me of the 1983 Finals being joined in progress for Game 1 because CBS showed the conclusion of the Atlanta Golf Classic.

poindexter and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Apologies. I’ve tried to be vague. Will post anything else behind a spoiler tag.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I nearly gave up on "The Bear" but hung in.
    To me, whole sequences of people shouting at each other is awful TV/radio. That is what most of Season 1 is. In Season 2, things calmed down into more realistic dialog. Then, the Christmas episode brought it all back. It was so ridiculous, but ........ OK, no spoilers. (I will say that I hated seeing Jamie Lee Curtis so old and ugly -- and smoking cigarettes -- especially with the closeups they used.) I have 4 episodes to go.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

And calling him William.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted