1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Geez, stealing all the bases is one thing, but two of them in between pitches? That's something else.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Elly is so much fun to watch. Reminds of of the energy Tatis Jr. brought when he came up (and I hope he avoids the mistakes Tatis has made).

Reds fans deserve this fun, and hopefully it lasts. They've had to endure a lot due to shitty owners.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You hear TV ratings are up 26 percent, and it's pretty clear it is because a few youngsters and a few ballclubs are making it a very enjoyable season. Maybe this is just an infusion of excitement you don't get very often.

Related opinion: I'm glad games are quicker. I consider the pitch clock a success. But I don't think many people even notice the shorter games, and I don't think it's making a huge difference at the gate or in the ratings.

qtlaw likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Orioles have been invincible since Gunnar’s throw. About to be two games back…

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just when I think I have it figured out, I see something so weird, I think I don't know a thing about it.

maumann likes this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Always have been, always will be.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I know how the voting works and I have nothing against Geraldo Perdomo, but MLB should have named Cruz as Swanson's All-Star replacement.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Baseball Reference's playoff chances on the final day before the ASB. Bolded teams in current playoff position:

Braves >99.9%
    Rays 98.3%
    Dodgers 93%
    Rangers 91.4%
    Orioles 75%
    Astros 73%
    Diamondbacks 72.8%
    Twins 71.3%
    Marlins 65.6%
    Yankees 60.9%
    Phillies 59.5%

Giants 59.1%
    Blue Jays 59%
    Reds 52.6%
    Brewers 39.8%
    Guardians 28.9%
    Cubs 27.9%
    Red Sox 25.2%
    Padres 21.1%
    Mariners 10.7%
    Everyone else: less than 10%

Related: The Orioles' next five series are against teams in current playoff position: Three each against Miami and the Dodgers at home, four in Tampa, three in Philly, three at home against the Yankees.

9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I love that no one thinks of the pitch clock now. As always, players were going to adjust. They're pros.

Now, just think how tight and contested the playoffs will be with the clock.

Cannot. Wait.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Now going into the All-Star break in a 1-9 skid with 75 runs and 10 homers allowed the last two games.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

David Ross already ejected.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I’ll add to the praise. The rules changes have worked out better than could’ve been expected. Both the tv and ballpark experience is much improved.

2muchcoffeeman and Spartan Squad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted