1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Audis, as an automotive-knowledgeable friend once observed, are overengineered. But Volvos are excellent.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I miss Saturns.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I miss the K5 Blazer.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

When she graduated high school, my mom bought a '63 Stingray. She traded that for a new '67 Camaro. In '71 she got me and 4-door Galaxie 500!

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My mom got an RX7 in like 1986. It became my car less than 10 years later. It was fun but man it had so many problems. I literally had to keep pliers in the car to clamp down on a tube to keep the engine from flooding when starting. That worked every time, though. I don't know how we figured that one out in the days before Google. You never knew if it would go or not! So many things overall were wrong with it, outside of that flooding issue. It taught me how awful it is to have an unreliable car. We eventually just donated it after it was broken down in the parking lot of my college apartment. I wonder if a car like that at that time wasn't exactly designed to last more than a few years.

Did yours have bucket seats? How in the world did you get car seats, especially in the 80s, in that thing?

tea and ease likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Great band.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My parents had three Corvettes and a 1970 GTO Judge before I came along, and even then their "family car" became a 1976 Monte Carlo.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My first new car was a 2004 Saturn Ion, which had the instrument cluster centered on the dash. Took some getting to used to, both when I got the car and after I got rid of it a few years later and got a car with a normal set-up.

saturn_ion_richmond_04_dv_0.jpg

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

wut

Batman and dixiehack like this.
  10. Machine Head

11. Machine Head

My dad had a Monte Carlo.

I liked driving it with that long fucking hoodline.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I learned to drive in two of the least similar cars imaginable -- a Ford LTD station wagon and a '67 Volkswagen Bug.

Draft saved Draft deleted