1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers on changes in Los Angeles Times sports section going into effect Monday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 4, 2023.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

TJ's next column: How to get around the firewall.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

3. MileHigh

I just looked.

Sigh.

The World Champion is dead.

Jim Healy is rolling over in his grave.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My brother (76 years old and visually impaired) was on the phone first thing this morning asking if I knew this Iliana broad and why has she ruined the Times. I tried to explain. No I don't know her, but it's the newspaper game these days. She is just following orders.

He likes Dodgers, Trojans and soccer ... and the daily Sudoku. He has a strong friendship with an older female delivery person. He gives her his recyclables and she makes sure to put the paper on his side porch so he can easily find it.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A good column.

But I was stuck by this line:

"there apparently still are six months remaining to address this, to figure it out, to save this once-great institution from being the final cautionary tale in the book about the end of print journalism"

There are not six months to save print journalism. Box scores in the print edition have not saved subscriptions from declining by close to 90% at the LA Times. Print journalism is on it's deathbed. And newspapers better figure out how to get more electronic advertising dollars pretty damn quick or there will be a lot of casualties.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    I Should Coco likes this.
  6. MileHigh

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Then end the print edition. Or go Sunday only.

What I wouldn't do is turn the print edition into some dumb-ass thing the print readers don't really want.

dixiehack and Batman like this.
  8. MileHigh

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Wow. Alden must be celebrating bigtime with the chance to pillage SD.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Hmmm, my head is spinning.
    At least the U-T gets to keep box scores. OCR columnist Jim Alexander posted on Facebook yesterday that the Register and all of the SCNG papers were going to continue to run box scores.

11. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

LA Times: We’re dropping gamers and box scores from the sports section.

NY Times: Hold my beer.

12. MileHigh

Draft saved Draft deleted