1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

IIRC, they said it was to help the driver keep their eyes on the road. The thinking being, your eyes look down when you check a traditional instrument cluster. The Ion's cluster was placed so that your vision stayed higher and allowed you to be more aware of your surroundings.
    From experience, there was something to it.

Machine Head likes this.
  2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

You drove the wagon on your driving exam and aced parallel parking, right?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I failed my first driving test (in the wagon) in a matter of seconds. The car was parked in this long, narrow lane in front of the building when the examiner got in. He asked me to back out and I bumped the curb. Test over.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Machine Head likes this.
  4. Machine Head

But when you took and passed the exam it was in the wagon, and not the Bug, right?

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes. I learned how to drive a stick, but I sure wasn't going to take my test with one.

6. Machine Head

I loved driving a stick.

Told my wife recently I'd to get a stick.

She told me no.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I want to get one, too, but my wife had the same reaction, in case she ends up having to drive it.

Machine Head likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My first car was a '66 Mustang. I think my dad paid $2K for it in 1987. I sold it about a year or so ago and got $6.5K, so adjusting for inflation, I made money on it.
    I learned to drive on a '77 Ford Ranger with the 3-speed on the column. I loved the feeling of slamming down from 2nd to 3rd.
    I'd like to have the weight of one of those late '70s Monte Carl0s' doors in gold.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

… that there was a time when the only good comic book movie or TV show was the 1978 version of Superman.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Sitting down at Pizza Hut and ordering a pitcher of beer.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I have a stick. My wife can’t drive it.

That was almost completely by design. I like having it all to myself.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Machine Head

Yeah, yeah.

Big talk now, man.

Wait til you get to be an old fucker like me with fucked up feet, ankles and knees and your wife reminds you and says no stick.

Draft saved Draft deleted